Life > Academics

What is Science & Technology Studies?

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

When people ask me what my major is, I usually answer with Economics (my second major). It’s just easier than going through the “Oh, I’ve never heard of that” or the “What is that?” and then feeling the need to explain what my Science and Technology Studies (STS) major actually is. 

STS is an interdisciplinary study that combines the humanities and social studies with science, technology, and medicine. As an STS student, I explore controversies, social problems, and current events while looking at how medical and technological revolutions create solutions to these problems. To me, STS is the humanities part of STEM.

This major is also extremely small. In almost every one of my STS classes, I recognize at least 5 students also taking the same courses. Another plus: you get one-on-one time with professors. Last quarter (Fall 2023), I took STS 164, Writing Science, and the total number of students was about 15, which is half the size of a normal discussion section. With the smaller class size, during office hours, I have always received one-on-one time with professors which allows me to get instant feedback on my essays and gives me the opportunity to work directly with the professor. The small class size also encourages smaller discussions with peer groups instead of having a professor merely lecture. As a result, I was able to engage more deeply with the material rather than passively absorbing what the professor said. 

While this major is broad, it has 4 emphases within it, so each STS student can choose to take more specialized courses. The 4 emphases are Law & Innovation, Health & Environment, Data & Media Technologies, and History & Philosophy of Science. Essentially, the career paths post-graduation can range from being an attorney to going to medical school or launching a career in data analytics or data science. I chose the Law & Innovation emphasis because it uniquely combines both law and technology. For example, I’ve taken STS 108: Intellectual Property in Science, which only fueled my interest in law. Learning about how companies can acquire patents within science such as obtaining rights over drugs and what this means for the regular consumer has taught me that technology goes beyond healthcare. So, while the major is quite interdisciplinary, learning how technology pervades so many aspects of everyday life and society opens your eyes to how rapidly innovation occurs. 

If you’re not sure what to major in, I’d recommend Science and Technology Studies. The readings and writing may not be for everyone but I think it’s extremely fascinating to learn about how science and technology shapes society and other industries like law and medicine. Or, if you’re simply just interested in STS, consider taking a course. For the pre-med students, STS 121: Special Topics in Medical Anthropology is a great choice, and for those interested in data science, maybe try out STS 101: Data & Society. Even if you’re not an STS major, by taking an STS class, you’ll most likely learn something applicable to your life or observable within society—and maybe you’ll even spark a new interest.

Phoebe is a current third-year at UC Davis majoring in Economics and Science & Technology Studies. She hopes to attend law school in the future. Outside of her academic interests, she enjoys trying new foods, spending time with friends, and traveling.