This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Most of the time, once is enough when you finish watching a TV show but occasionally, there are a few of those stand-out shows that you know are instantly re-watchable. The script is great and the acting is fantastic; they just never seem to get old or drop in quality. And each time you rewatch, you pick up on a few new things you hadn’t noticed before. So, here are my top TV shows that never get old.

• The Office (US): The Office is probably my most re-watched show ever. The show is filmed in a documentary style, following the Scranton, PA branch of the paper company, Dunder Mifflin, and their eccentric boss, Michael Scott (Steve Carrell). Although each day is mundane, Michael Scott keeps his employees and the audience on their toes with his side jokes and unexpected company bonding activities. The show’s characters and gags never seem to get old, with jokes that never fail to make me laugh over and over again. From the banter between office frenemies Jim (John Krasinski) and Dwight (Rainn Wilson) to the overall cast chemistry, laughs are delivered in each episode.
  • Gilmore Girls: Gilmore Girls is my definition of a comfort show. Centered in the small town of Stars Hollow, everything about this show screams autumn. I can always count on Lorelai (Lauren Graham) and her daughter Rory (Alexis Bledel) to have meaningful conversations over coffee at Luke’s Diner. The show has a slower pace, making it ideal as background noise while doing schoolwork or something to enjoy while curling up in bed on a rainy day. Throughout the series, Lorelai and Rory navigate conflicts and drama as best friends as well as mother and daughter, relying on the friendly community of Stars Hollow through it all.
  • Friday Night Lights: Perhaps less well-known but one of my all-time favorites is Friday Night Lights. The series follows a high school football team, the Panthers, in the small town of Dillion, Texas under the leadership of head coach Eric Taylor (Kyle Chandler) as they fight their way to become state champions. The show uses its small-town backdrop to realistically portray Middle America and address many issues in contemporary American culture like family values, school funding, racism, substance use, and lack of economic opportunity. Both on and off the field, Eric Taylor leads his team through the wins and losses of pressure-filled seasons while the heart and soul of Dillion relies on the success of the Panthers.
  • Gossip Girl: Narrated by the unknown blogger, “Gossip Girl”, the series revolves around the lives of privileged upper-class adolescents living in the Upper East Side of New York. As the infamous blogger constantly watches and releases the private secrets of Manhattan’s elite, the main characters—Serena van der Woodsen (Blake Lively), Blair Waldorf (Leighton Meester), Chuck Bass (Ed Westwick), Dan Humphrey (Penn Badgley), and Nate Archibald (Chace Crawford)—try to handle the drama of Gossip Girl while protecting their friendships (for the most part) as she stirs the pot and publicizes the group’s scandals and heartache. Although the plot can be a bit much at times, it definitely makes you want to live on the Upper East Side and is a fun watch as you witness the group fight for each other through thick and thin.
  • That ‘70s Show: Set in the 1970s, this show had a unique take on being a teen in the ‘70s. The sitcom is about an eclectic group of friends on the verge of adulthood living in the fictional suburbs of Point Place, Wisconsin. Yearning for independence, Eric (Topher Grace), Donna (Laura Prepon), Kelso (Ashton Kutcher), Jackie (Mila Kunis), and Hyde (Danny Masterson), spend most of their time in Eric’s basement looking for ways to entertain themselves. Through the mishaps and less-than-groovy moments, the group remains tight-knit, making it another comfort show about friendship.

While these shows take a bit of commitment–each over 5 seasons long–they are well worth the watch. From the drama of Gossip Girl to the heartaches and heartwarming moments of Gilmore Girls and That ‘70s Show, these shows became a sense of comfort during my own coming-of-age. Whether you’re a fan of plot twists, small-town drama, or comedy, these must-watch shows have something for everyone.

Phoebe is a current third-year at UC Davis majoring in Economics and Science & Technology Studies. She hopes to attend law school in the future. Outside of her academic interests, she enjoys trying new foods, spending time with friends, and traveling.