Three Things to Know about the Chinese New Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Happy Chinese New Year! Starting January 22, 2023, we’re welcoming the year of the rabbit. Celebrations vary depending on the region. China officially recognizes the first seven days as a public holiday, but festivities ultimately end on February 5th with the Lantern Festival. I’d say a good portion of American society is familiar with the Chinese New Year. To clarify, similar celebrations occur throughout East and Southeast Asia under different names. When referring to all of these, a lot of people often refer to this holiday as the Lunar New Year. Just like how there are different names, each country has its own traditions and beliefs. I’ll specifically discuss three traditions or beliefs that apply to the Chinese New Year.

1. Cleaning Before & After New Year

Before the Chinese New Year, it is best to clean up your living space. By organizing your room, you’ll make room for all the good luck and fortune that will come your way. Let’s dust away the negativity and sweep out the bad luck!

However, there’s an interesting point to remember. Don’t clean on New Year’s Day! Doing so will get rid of all the good luck 2023 has brought you. For those of you who have been having a hard time, maybe schedule cleaning days after January 22.

2. Avoiding Bad Luck on New Year

Personally, I have a belief that everything you do on New Year’s Day will be reflective of how the coming year will play out. Of course, this isn’t really a thing but there is a general agreement that one should do their best to avoid bringing in negative energy on Chinese New Year. Here’s a short list of some things to remember:

• No fighting or arguing
  • Do not ask to repay debts
  • Do not use knives or sharp objects
  • Do not break glass or ceramics
  • No negativity

3. Colors & New Clothes

It’s commonly understood that it’s best to wear red for the Chinese New Year. Red is associated with good luck. If you’re like me and you don’t have a lot of red apparel, I suggest considering gold jewelry. The color gold is second best because it is similar to money and wealth. If you don’t have clothing or accessories in either color that’s also perfectly fine! A lot of people generally dress up in new outfits because of the Spring festival which also takes place in the middle of the celebrations. The Spring Festival is a time of new beginnings and change. As a result, individuals participating don new garments to reflect the sentiment.

However, there are a few warnings to keep in mind! The colors black and white are believed to bring bad luck and negativity into the new year. For those of you who love those colors, I’d suggest trying out something new or at the very least don’t wear plain clothes that are completely black or white. I’ve mentioned above that people like to wear new clothes, but there’s a specific condition when it comes to shoes. Do not purchase new shoes on Chinese New Year!! Or do, but your good luck might run away.

With these three points in mind, I wish you the best in the coming Chinese/Lunar New Year of 2023! May this year make you hop in joy! (Get it? It’s the year of the rabbit LOL)

Hi! I'm a third year Cinema and Digital Media student at UCD.