jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

There’s So Much I Want to Say

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

There is so much I want to talk about –  myself, my relationships, my family, my life at Davis, my life back at home, politics, sexual assault awareness, mental health awareness, Greek life, sports, and so, so much more, but I have such a hard time writing it.

Unfinished articles have filled my computer, each trailing off with a “…” and a “TBD.” I look at these articles with both hope and disappointment. It’s hard to watch article topics get less and less applicable to our current world, but I truly believe I’ll finish them one day. I just wish I could make that day come sooner.

I don’t know what it is – maybe it’s writer’s block or even fear – but something stops me every time I sit down to write. I’ve been able to get some stuff out, as I have to if I’m pursuing a career in writing, but I feel like I have so much more to say about the topics I really care about.

It’s hard for me to tell if my blockage is due to internal or external factors. Is it my own fear of not being credible or good enough to be a published writer? Or is it the negative reactions that inevitably come with writing about something controversial?

I wish so dearly that I could just take my feelings and lay them all out there, but I’m just not there yet. With openness comes vulnerability, and there is something about putting your emotions in published writing that feels so exposing. So for now, I’ll just write about how I can’t write.

TBD …

Hadley is a fourth year at UC Davis, majoring in Psychology and minoring in Professional Writing and Human Rights. She is a mental health advocate and the Vice President of Event Planning for the Pi Beta Phi sorority. She loves to play soccer, paint, and watch The Office. She is planning on pursuing a career in writing and editing, and hopes to work for a magazine after graduating.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!