This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

During this past spring break, my partner and I got to experience the California Zephyr, a train ride that starts in San Francisco and ends in Chicago. What makes the Zephyr stand out from other Amtrak experiences is that it not only has an overnight sleeper car, offering a hotel-like experience, but also its remarkable scenic views, ranging from snow-covered mountains to alienesque deserts (sometimes both of these features residing within the same landscape). While this trip is definitely a splurge, I think it is a trip to be taken at least once in one’s lifetime — especially if you are not in any particular rush and you want to experience the scenery of half of the continental U.S. We started our journey from Davis and ended our journey in Denver, a convenient stopping point where we proceeded to explore the city for a few days. I will be highlighting what one should know before planning a trip on the Zephyr and why this particular train ride is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. 

The Train Itself

Upon its grand entrance at Davis station, with its impressive height and length, we were immediately greeted with friendly and welcoming staff members who directed us to the sleeper car. There were roughly about two of these specific cars, which contained not only the room-mettes, but also plenty of restrooms and showers (the showers necessary for the daunting 36+ hours on the train). In addition to the sleeper cars, there was a cafe car where one may purchase food, a dining car that served restaurant-style meals, and coach-seating cars. And finally, there was the observation car — which offered wide windows to capture the numerous views. Overall, the train was easy to navigate and had easy access to amenities. 

The Room-mette

The Room-mettes are not cheap by any means, which is why I recommend taking coach. However, it was fun, exciting, and comfortable to book a room-mette if able to do so. Our room possessed two seats that converted into bunk beds, as well as providing a stunning view that was away from other people. Space is limited, but there is space outside of the room in the sleeper car itself for luggage. The biggest plus was being able to sleep lying down throughout the night (tall people, I do not recommend the top bunk — you will hit your hit multiple times, as I did). 

The Dining Experience

If you book the room-mette package, you are eligible for free meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. For breakfast, you have the expected but delicious french toast plates but also the savory egg-sausage-toast plates. For lunch, you have options ranging from salads to a burger or sandwich. The dinner options include steak and rigatoni (these options were surprisingly delicious), and come with my favorite parts of the meals — the blueberry cheesecake and chocolate mousse cake for dessert. The downsides of dining are that vegan options are limited, and if you find yourself on the train for multiple days, the food may become repetitive. I thoroughly enjoyed the dining experience, especially as the timing for meals coincidentally occurred at some of the most beautiful parts of the trip. 

Views Galore

Once leaving the Sacramento area, you are met with the lush greenery of the Tahoe area as the train snakes through Auburn and through one of my favorite parts, Truckee, where one is able to catch a glimpse of the quaint, Hallmark-movie-like streets of the snowy town. Leaving the seemingly endless winter landscape was not disappointing but presented an entirely different landscape. This area makes one marvel at how close these two places exist to one another, as we made our way through the Nevada desert. Other notable landmarks on the trip include the Spanish Fork Valley of Utah and the town of Glenwood Springs in Colorado (home to an amusement park at the very top of one of the mountains). My personal favorite was the Ruby Canyon region on the Utah-Colorado border, with its gorgeous walls of reddish rock outlining the river, and the region between Granby and Denver, Colorado, brimming with wildlife such as elk, deer, and the occasional bald eagle. 

This trip was incredibly transformative, especially coming out of a stressful, deadline-defined winter quarter. The train was delayed at times, and it reminded me that I was at a point in time not bound by deadlines and not having to rush to a certain place before a certain time. This is why I highly recommend the California Zephyr for your next vacation. 

Brooke Douma is a third year at UC Davis, majoring in Political Science and minoring in Comparative Literature. She enjoys hiking, curating playlists, and she hopes to attend law school.