This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

The first few weeks of the quarter have been met with an unbearable heat that leaves no space for the cold to set in. As we reach the halfway point in the quarter, the days slowly grow colder and the leaves finally start to change into the nice, warm colors we’ve been waiting for. Having to transition from warmer days to colder ones is hard, especially when we have to change everything from our wardrobe to our skincare to match it. I personally love the gloominess of it all, so I’m always happy to pull out the warm coats hidden away in my closet. I will admit that it’s not an easy process, especially when I find that my skin is the most affected by the change in weather. But, I’ve found that certain makeup products have helped me adjust to the changes into fall when it’s finally sweater-weather:

Moisture + Tint Chapstick

When I’m doing my makeup in a rush while getting ready for class, I need something that’s moisturizing for my lips, but can also provide some flush to my face. I find that with the cold, my lips are always dry and look dull, so having a product that can provide hydration and color is a must. Bonus points when it can be used alone without having a full face of makeup!

Hydrating Camo Concealer by ELF

Concealers are a must during the cold, especially when I’m skipping my CC cream or foundation. So, I want to make sure I have the most coverage from just a small amount, while still being able to cover areas that require more hydration. When I’m using a hydrating concealer on oily areas, I find that setting powder is a go-to move for me as it takes away the shine while still giving my skin some hydration.

CC Cream by ELF

Since my face is dry in some areas, like cheeks, and oily in others, like the nose, it’s hard to find a foundation that will cater to these opposing conditions without making me look dry or patchy. I find that when my face is dry because of the cold, the product tends to stick to my dry patches which create an uneven look. By using a CC cream (my preference is Elf’s CC cream), I’m provided with the coverage that I need in certain areas without having to pack on as much product. I usually use the CC cream on the areas where I’m dry and need more coverage, but it depends on the occasion.

Make it Dewy Setting Spray by Milani

After I’ve finished applying my makeup, regardless of what products I’ve used or how much product I’m using, I always have to finish it with a setting spray. I tend to go for a matte setting spray since I like my makeup to be as transfer-free as possible, but during the cold weather, I need something that will give me a natural glow and lift my makeup up from the duller tones. Using a dewy setting spray helps my makeup stay in place especially when I’m wearing a mask, while still giving me that natural glow that I lack when my face is dry.

Rare Beauty Liquid Blush

If there’s one makeup product that I cannot stop talking about, it’s the Rare Beauty Liquid Blush. Not only does it provide me with a natural flush of color when my face is looking pale, but it serves a greater purpose beyond a pigmented blush. When I don’t want to pull out my black eyeliner for a simple eye look, I use the liquid blush to give my eyelids some color that blends nicely with my cheeks. It gives my face a nice touch of color that lasts throughout the entire day, and I sometimes give my lips a more pigmented look with the blush, as well.

KATIE STEVENS, MEGHANN FAHY, AISHA DEE
Freeform / Jonathan Wenk / Disney Enterprises

Because of the cold, my skin usually gets dry in some areas of my face, while it gets extremely oily in other parts like the nose. Adjusting to these changes takes some time, so I find myself having to switch my makeup routine and the makeup products I use every time the seasons change. Although I’m fond of this process, it’s still a challenging one, so having makeup products that help with this constant transition is a must!

Lizzie is currently a third year English and Psychology double major at University of California, Davis. Her interests include reading and writing romance novels, obsessing over period pieces (mostly Jane Austen), and trying to find all the easter eggs in Taylor Swift's music videos. After graduation, Lizzie is interested in pursuing her MA in Journalism.