Life > Experiences

Spring Quarter Awaits, Here Is What To Look Out For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Spring quarter might be the most anticipated and awaited quarter of the academic year for UC Davis students. Not only do the trees bloom all around Davis and the sun shines making the energy around everyday life brighter, but the events on campus also draw us in for a fun break to the academic grind before another long-awaited summer break. If you’re new to Davis or simply have yet to engage with on-campus events and desire a change, here are three UC Davis events to keep an eye out for.

Picnic Day 

I’m sure you’ve heard the tall tales about UC Davis’s Picnic Day. This is an event that, for some, may begin at 5 am with friends, games, and “tomfoolery.” Once those early birds have gotten their dose of dopamine and dye, the whole town will start to join in the fun on the UC Davis campus. Once the campus gets buzzing with events, you’ll see members of the community of all ages exploring the academic/informational events, petting animals, watching weiner dogs race, dancing to live music, and enjoying bevies and food. This is definitely not an event to miss; however, make sure you have a hat, sunscreen, and ample water with you, as the lines can get a little long. Also… don’t expect to see everything. I recommend planning the day strategically. Last year I waited in line for the wiener dog race for over an hour and all I got was a sunburn and the races ended before I was even close to making it inside. For Picnic Day what I can say is be safe, have fun, and prepare for the sun! 

Whole Earth Festival

The Whole Earth Festival is another well-known celebration that Davis has a history of hosting. This is personally my favorite event on campus, although it does take a toll on my wallet (totally worth it though). If I could prepare you for the vibes of the whole earth festival I would have to say to get ready for the boho lace dresses, tye dye, handmade beeswax candles, crystal wands, live music, and the reiki healing dome. If you’re into this vibe, this festival is for you. Not only can you support local businesses capable of creating the perfect crafts for you, your friends, and your family, but you’ll also have an opportunity to dance, heal, eat, sing, hang with friends, and look at the art produced by fellow UC Davis students. Pick your most cottage core fit and enjoy the day! The bonus of the Whole Earth Festival is that if you can’t make it on Friday, the festival will be running through the weekend! 

Pride 

As I’m sure you’re all aware, Pride is in June; however, the quarter will be coming to a close so UC Davis does a student Pride celebration a little early! While I can’t guarantee which specific events will be hosted this year, look out for announcements relating to “Queer Community Wisdom” or “Out on the Quad!” These were two events that have occurred in recent years and are super fun! This is a great chance to connect with the larger LGBTQIA+  community in Davis while enjoying getting your polaroid taken and tarot cards read. Additionally, campus Pride events offer identity-affirming swag, such as tote bags and pins. This is a great event to bond and not only connect with your peers, but also with yourself. Embrace the love, affirmation, and pride! 

UC Davis does well to make Spring Quarter a celebration for everyone. Whether you’re interested in holding bugs and petting cows with mimosas (that last part is totally optional), dancing in the MU grass to the ambiance of reiki healing, or rep your pride flag(s) around campus, UC Davis gives you a runway of sun to enjoy those moments. I hope you’ve gotten some pent-up excitement for what’s to come now that you know of a few campus events to look out for and I hope that when it’s finally here, it’s the spring quarter of a lifetime!

Sage R.J. Lang is a fourth year at UC Davis, majoring in Sociology with a minor in Education. Sage has pursued their undergraduate degree while traveling abroad, including Davis, Santa Barbara, Washington D.C., and most recently Thailand. Sage has been writing since 2015 and looks forward to sharing their voice with the readers of Her Campus before graduating and pursuing their many career dreams. While Sage's focus is more usually creative prose, they look forward to expanding their horizons towards a more journalistic and personal style. Sage hopes to improve the experiences of current, new, and incoming Davis Aggies with their articles and looks forward to engaging with campus doing something they love deeply.