This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

In honor of Halloween, it’s important to highlight the fear that may come alongside voting. With this, it is essential to recognize that voting to some may be scary to some. In order to conquer the fear that may come along with voting, I decided to ask those who do not currently plan on voting on their reasons or concerns why. Although each fear may be individualized, here are some pivots for those who did give responses. This will aid in allowing those who come across this article to be able to also educate others on responses that they could say to people in similar situations. 

Her Campus Media

Concerns & Pivots: 

Concern: I don’t think my vote will count. 

A: A democracy only works when people actually vote. You can sit back and believe that your vote doesn’t count and that will ensure that it will never count or use the power you have to change things for the better. 

Concern: The election does not directly affect me, why should I care? 

A: People said the same thing about the 2016 election but we have seen, especially now how Politics affects each and every one of us living in the United States directly. We should be the generation to break the cycle of not voting. Voting in this year’s election would have a lasting impact on future generations. Voting would not only be creating a better future for yourself but aid in creating a better future for those that come next!

Concern: I do not have enough time. 

A: Voting will take less than 5% of your day to take action and create a voice for yourself. It really takes only a few minutes and not everyone has this opportunity as well as the privilege to vote, even if they live in the United States. 

Ballot Submission
Photo by Arnaud Jaegers from Unsplash

Concern: Honestly I want to help but I’m afraid it will get lost in the mail. 

A: All registered voters will get a ballot, but this does not stop you from going to the polls. To prevent this keep an eye on the mail and check online through ballottrax to track where your ballot is. 

Concern: I’m not a US Citizen (or cannot take action) but I do care and want to help. What can I do? 

A: Spread the word to friends and family that live in the United States helps just as much as voting.

Concern: I fear the result of what my vote will do to the country.  

A: Your concern is valid; especially now, during uncertain times one may be fearful of where the country will head. In order to clear your uncertainty and showcase that you did the most you could, it is essential to cast your vote as your vote counts and matters. 

mail in ballot with mask by Tiffany Tertipes on Unsplash
Photo by Tiffany Tertipes from Unsplash

Our democracy is much stronger when each and every voice is heard. According to the Washington Post, “There have been Republican efforts to make voting more difficult in Georgia, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Florida, Illinois, Michigan, Texas, Iowa, and Oklahoma.” Voter suppression is real and it can come in different forms such as strict voter ID rules and complicated absentee ballot processes. With this, it is essential to do everything you can in order for your vote to be heard as voter suppression is something common happening. Your voice is important and may have a large impact on the future of the United States. 

Nancy is a fourth-year Communication and Political Science- Public Service Double Major at the University of California, Davis. She enjoys spending time with family, friends and her dog named Luna. Her experience of growing up in a Mexican household in Silicon Valley inspired her to be a curious leader and prompted her passion for technology, public service, and social impact. She strives to utilize her project management and communication skillsets to work with cross-functional teams and lead social change projects. She is currently seeking employment opportunities within technology.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!