Shaitaj Dhaliwal: A Woman of Policy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Shaitaj Dhaliwal is a third year undergraduate studying International Relations with an emphasis on World Trade and Development. She is currently serving as the Executive Chief of Staff for ASUCD and has worked as a research analyst for the ASUCD Office of Advocacy and Representation. As well as being politically active on campus, last summer she had the opportunity to intern for United States Senator, Dianne Feinstein.

In an interview with Her Campus at UC Davis, Shaitaj took the time to tell us about her experiences at UC Davis and her positions in policy and politics.

Photo Credits: Mariana Huben

HC: In which organizations are you active on campus, and what do you do in each?

Shaitaj: I serve as the Chief of Staff for the Executive Office of ASUCD. I started working for ASUCD in my first year staffing for our current president, Mariah Watson. I helped with her campaigns and was then promoted to her chief of staff. I also work with OASR on their grass roots projects. For example, we helped create the tuition rally last year. We are not only acting for current students, but also for students of future generations.

HC: What made you choose to work with ASUCD?

Shaitaj: When I came to college, I really wanted to get involved and never wanted to feel bored. I wanted to be involved politically on campus. I was involved in the policy debate team in high school and I wanted to pursue that on campus. My first year at Davis, I went to the Welcome Week Resource Fair. I was drawn to ASUCD. I got Mariah Watson’s email, and from the third day of my first year, I have worked with ASUCD. I’ve worked with so many units and such a wide range of people. It was like a calling for me.

HC: You had the opportunity to intern with Senator Dianne Feinstein. Can you tell us more about your experience?

Shaitaj: Dianne Feinstein has been a state senator for 30 years. She is the old-school powerful woman of the State of California. I wanted to work with one of our–what I like to call– “founding mothers.” She is very passionate and she is still doing this job in her 80s. From her, I learned that when you’re passionate about something, that’s what encourages you to keep going, and this shouldn’t be affected by your age or your gender.

HC: The presence of women in politics and policy is growing, but what more do you think can be done?

Shaitaj: There are less females running for elected positions. This is not only an issue of federal politics; it starts in elementary school. Most girls aren’t confident enough to run, even though they may be the most qualified.

I choose my staff not based on gender, but on passion. I try to mentor them and develop passion in them. Girls usually don’t feel empowered, especially by other women. It excites me to know that people are now empowered to say “I’m capable of this as a person, not just as a woman.”

HC: What are your plans for the future?

Shaitaj: I am doing the Washington Program over summer. I have this dream of working in foreign policy, and a lot of my future is going to involve that.

In the long run, I would like to run for elected office. I want to be a public servant, attend to people’s needs, and let them know that there is someone working on their behalf.

HC: Can you explain your views on the importance of voting for policies on our campus?

Shaitaj: Currently less than 10% of students vote.

There’s no reason why one section of the university should be representing the whole. There should be every major represented within this. It creates a better learning environment. People should vote so that the best people are at our table. Everybody should be included in that.

Kirsten is an English and Communications double major and Professional Writing minor at UC Davis. She enjoys drinking tea, rereading Bridget Jones's Diary, and making Harry Potter references in casual conversation. She loves untranslatable words, Shakespearean insults, and Helen Mirren. After graduation, she hopes to find a job that makes her happy and own an extensive mug collection.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!