This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Welcome to 2023, everyone! Let’s talk about the most well-known New Year’s tradition: resolutions. I know once the Times Square ball drops and the party’s over, your goal seems a lot more daunting than it did when it was just an idea, but we are all more than capable of reaching these aspirations if we go about them thoughtfully.  

I have fallen prey to the universal experience of the failed new year’s resolution. Too often I’ve started my resolution, only to abandon it two weeks later.  But over time I’ve had some epiphanies that have helped me set goals and stick to them. Let’s make the most out of this year and figure out how to design and achieve our goals together! 

Start Small 

I’ve found that a huge issue with New Year’s resolutions is taking on too much at once. This will only lead to burnout and overexertion. Start with small goals that build up to your ultimate accomplishment. For example, if your New Year’s resolution involves exercise, start with something lower impact like walking. This consistency will help build your habits, and as you become more comfortable with this new lifestyle, you’ll be more encouraged to continue reaching your goals until you complete your resolution. Create manageable goals that track your progress and make you feel invigorated to continue, rather than overwhelming yourself right off the bat.

It’s Okay to Fall Behind

Be hopeful for the future, not discouraged by the past or any obstacles that get in the way of your achievements. If you have a bad week and aren’t feeling up to keeping up with your goals, it isn’t the end of the world. Work on finding peace and happiness within yourself, and then pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and get right back into it.  Your goal does not become unattainable if you take some time off to prioritize your mental health. A journey is not meant to be straight from Point A to B. There will be bumps and curved paths, but those do not define you.  Prioritize your progress and your happiness above all else. 

Celebrate Your Successes

Let’s say your resolution was to have better time management, and you get through an entire week of setting a manageable schedule and accomplishing all of your tasks. Reward yourself by going out with friends or having a movie night in with your favorite snacks. We are much more likely to stick to our goals if we take the time to acknowledge our successes and celebrate them. These celebrations provide motivation to continue and simply give you an extra moment to appreciate yourself.

As new beginnings crest on the horizon, let’s take a second to appreciate how much we’ve accomplished so far.  Though the New Year is the token restart button for goal-setting, it’s simply another opportunity to move forward and create the best version of yourself. Pursue your ambitions with dedication and hope for the future, and your successes will come. Good luck, everyone! 

Alexa is a second year English major at UCD. In her free time, she loves baking, making Spotify playlists for her latest reads, and laughing with friends. She’s super excited to be part of HC this year!