Scott Pilgrim Takes Off, a Remake/Sequel Done Right: A Spoiler-Free Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Since its release in 2010, the Edgar Wright-directed film adaptation, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, based on Bryan Lee O’Malley’s graphic novel series Scott Pilgrim (2002-2010), has accumulated a strong cult following that endures even today. A quick synopsis of the series for the uninformed goes as follows: Scott Pilgrim, a slacker bassist, sparks a romance with Ramona Flowers, a roller-blading delivery girl, who unfortunately has seven evil exes whom he must defeat in a series of video-game boss-esque battles to date Ramona. 

To the delight of this dedicated fanbase, O’Malley announced the creation and development of a new Scott Pilgrim anime series. This anime series entitled Scott Pilgrim Takes Off was released on Netflix on November 17th and consisted of 8 episodes. 

It’s quite difficult to categorize this series under a single label. It’s not quite a remake as it deviates greatly from the original source material, and it’s also not a sequel since it still remains slightly faithful to its film predecessor. I would argue that Scott Pilgrim Takes Off is both a continuation and an alternate version of the original storyline. 

For my review, I’ll be evaluating this series based on two criteria: plot and characters. 

THE PLOT

The majority of episode 1 follows the storyline of its film predecessor to a tee but in a shocking twist, flips the entire storyline of the original series on its head in Scott’s first fight with Ramona’s evil ex. This unpredictable twist breathes new life into the original storyline, bringing forth a more compelling and exciting plot akin to an action-packed whodunit. Without giving much away, this series uniquely places Ramona at the forefront of the story, while Scott is pushed to the side. This choice not only provides further insight into Ramona’s character but also allows other side characters, namely her seven evil exes and Scott’s friends to be brought forth to the central plot, further enlivening the story. 

Each episode is jam-packed with splashy animations and well-animated fights while also leaving room for more somber and emotional moments between characters. Compared to its film predecessor, this series takes on a more mature undertone, willing to confront and address unhealthy behaviors in relationships and emphasizing the importance of being accountable for the decisions you make that harm yourself and others. I greatly enjoyed how this series managed to strike a balance between zany animated boss battles and scenes of quiet reconciliation.

THE CHARACTERS

With Scott in the backseat for most of the series, Ramona and the other side characters are each given their moment in the spotlight. Ramona Flowers, a character often classified as the embodiment of the Manic Pixie Dream Girl trope, is given much more depth and development in this series compared to her role in the original film. As the sole protagonist for the majority of the series, we learn about the root of her commitment issues and follow along her journey as she confronts her avoidant behavior of facing her past relationships. Her character development across the eight episodes was so fulfilling to witness, and I’m thankful they decided to place her at the helm of the series. 

Her seven evil exes are also given their own character arcs and scenes that depict their potential for growth. We’re able to see their backstories and how they are all more than one-note villains. Additionally, Knives Chau, Scott’s 17-year-old ex-girlfriend, is also given room to grow into her own person and assert her identity as independent from her previous relationship with him. Every single character was fully embodied and their identities weren’t just simply surface-level or reduced to their relationships with Ramona or Scott. This choice assisted viewers in understanding their reasoning and motivations, creating a more objective viewing experience that isn’t just the typical villain vs. good guy plot. 

FINAL THOUGHTS

I would rate Scott Pilgrim Takes Off a solid 9/10 and can confidently declare it to be a worthy successor to the original 2010 film. Although a second season hasn’t been confirmed, I am crossing my fingers that there will be more new Scott Pilgrim content. If you’re a fan of Wright’s 2010 film adaptation, absolutely give this anime series a watch, you will not be disappointed! If you have yet to watch the original film, I would highly recommend watching it before diving into this series as it provides more context and gives the twist in episode 1 much more impact. 

Vivian is an English major at UC Davis. In her spare time, she enjoys watching Studio Ghibli movies, attempting new recipes she finds online, and fiercely debating strangers on the validity of pineapples on pizza.