Recommended Reads for Various Genres

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

As an English major and book-lover, I have found myself summer after summer (and any break in between) with my nose in a book, forgoing many activities in order to finish it. At one point in my life, my parents actually punished me by taking away my books for a few days. Needless to say, I love to read, and if you do as well, here are some great books from different genres I’ve enjoyed myself.

Autobiographies

I Am Malala  by Malala Yousafzai and Christina Lamb

I Am Malala is Malala’s autobiography detailing the time in which she was shot in the head by the Taliban at the age of sixteen for speaking out about women’s right to a good education. Malala grew up in Pakistan, and often spoke out for women. In her book, she details the events leading up to her being shot, as well as the effects of it. While I am not that into politics, reading about this strong, young woman showed me the power and strength that one person can hold, as well as the change that person can bring. Truly an inspiring book.

My Point…And I Do Have One and Seriously…I’m Kidding by Ellen Degeneres

Ellen’s autobiographies are simply hilarious accounts of her life. If you’re looking for a book that illustrates her every fear and desire that she learned about herself at various ages, don’t read this book. These two autobiographies are simply collections of funny stories, half of them sounding so false that it’s difficult to tell whether or not any of the stories are real. Although this sounds confusing, it’s actually quite fun to follow along with Ellen’s crazy stories.

Young Adult Novels (Romance)

Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan

This novel is about two teenage boys, both named Will Grayson and both prefer hiding from the rest society. The first Will Grayson, straight and socially awkward, is a member of the LGBT club, whereas the second Will Grayson is gay and hides it vehemently. What brings these two Wills together is unexpected, and will change both of the characters as well as those around them. This book has much to offer: people growing and finding themselves, love, hilarity, and (best of all) a John Green novel where no one dies.

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

Another of John Green’s books where, quite shockingly, nobody dies. This book follows Colin Singleton and his best friend Hassan Harbish on their road trip before college starts. The trip is especially vital to Colin, a childhood genius, who fears he will lose his genius. It is for him to have his “eureka” moment that ensures his intellect. On this trip, Colin, who has previously dated 19 different girls named Katherine, meets a girl named Lindsey and immediately falls in love with her. The book is hilarious and cute, and has always stuck in my mind. A very good read both because of Green’s writing style and because it’s quite possibly the only book solely authored by him in which no one dies.

Young Adult Novels (Mystery)

Kiss Me, Kill Me (Series) by Lauren Henderson

Set in England, this series follows Scarlett Wakefield’s journey to a private school after she accidentally kills a boy (who just so happens to be the most popular boy in school) by kissing him. She is gradually discovering who was really behind the boy’s death, all while falling in love with another boy named Jase. Heart-wrenching and exciting at the same time, this book leaves you on the edge of your seat and wanting more!

Young Adult Novels (Fantasy)

Graceling Series by Kristin Cashore

The Graceling Series (Graceling, Fire, and Bitterblue) follows characters in a fantastical world in which some people are graced with different powers, such as killing, telepathy, or survival. These books are extremely thrilling as they both follow people with different powers who have to learn how to wield them, and include romance. The characters’ graces hurt them and help them, but the people by their sides allow them to grow.

Melissa is currently an English major at the University of California, Davis and, in addition to this, she is pursuing a minor in Economics. Melissa currently has a part-time job on campus in addition to writing for hercampus.com. You can follow her on instagram at melissa_hosking
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!