The Naked Truth on The Naked Edge’s, Grace Son

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.
Edited by: Amy Coyle

Walking through campus, it is apparent that much of the Davis population is, to put it lightly, fashionably challenged. But not Grace Son. As a native Davis-ite, Grace exudes a cool, bohemian style that reflects our hippy-friendly city. Adding a one-of-a-kind edge to everything she wears, Grace embodies an undeniable confidence and playfulness with her funky little numbers. What strikes me most about her is her ability to mix and match the craziest, most eccentric pieces and make them look so effortlessly perfect together. After working with Grace, it is safe to say that I have fallen in love with her style and I am definitely not the only one taking note. With her blog, “Naked Edge,” becoming more and more popular, everyone wants to know more about this local style star, the girl behind the blog!

How did you get started with your blog, NakedEdge?
Well, if you want the honest truth, my friend Ameeta (co-blogger) and I were somehow able to convince ourselves that we would become famous and get gifted a bunch of clothes, jewelry, shoes etc,. through writing a blog. Far-fetched, I know, but who wouldn’t be motivated by a free, straight-shot to glitz and glamour. Am I right or am I right?

What inspires you for the blog?
Mainly, we are inspired by other fashion bloggers who, might I add, started out with clothes from Old Navy and are now reppin’ threads from designers like Isabelle Marant (one of my favs), Alejandro Wang, and Proenza Schouler…WTF?

How did you choose blogspot as opposed to other blog hosts?
Good question. We definitely did a fair share of research between blogspot and tumblr (which are the main blog sites used for fashion).  Tumblr is primarily for picture posts and most of the famous bloggers (we do whatever they do cause we know that it works) have blogspot.

How do you describe your personal style?
I would say I have a pretty eclectic style, but for the most part my main look would include super basic items layered (key) with some nice jewelry and of course… SHOES.  I’m short so I value shoes with a 5 inch plus heel.  

Since we are kind of limited in Davis, where is your favorite place to shop?
I don’t really shop much in Davis, but I’d have to say that Gap has really brought its A-Game to the table… Really basic, but also super reliable. If you can make your way out to Sacramento, I would definitely recommend Bows and Arrows which is a super classy, vintage thrift store with a bar in the back (perfect way to influence shoppers to spend money). Its an A-PLUS way of spending a Saturday morning of quality retail therapy, I’d say!

Who are your style icons?
Alexa Chung and Miroslava Duma. Alexa Chung is just beautiful in her own right and definitely unique in her ways and Miroslava is just a classy ass woman!

What are your plans for the future? Do you plan on expanding the blog?
Like I said, we are headin’ straight for fame… haha.  We still have a lot of work to do and it is hard to really get out there given that it is ridiculously challenging even just to meet up and take pictures, but it will happen, don’t you worry!

With all of the craziness and lack of time for sleeping, let alone looking put-together, that comes with college life, how do you stay so fashionable?
I definitely have my off days, weeks… okay, let’s be real MONTHS, but I think this blog has been extremely helpful in maintaining inspiration and keeping me from falling into the slump of good ol’ Davis.  

What is your favorite trend right now?
LAYERS up the wazoo! And over-sized everything while still being feminine… lets not forget to show off those legs whenever possible ladies! Oh, and pattern blocking: get on it!

Be sure to check out/get inspired by Grace and Ameeta’s blog at nakededge.blogspot.com!

Rachael Brandt is your typical collegiette. Her free time, you'll find her roaming the CoHo, nourishing her hourly caffeine fix or rocking out at the campus rec center in Zumba class. Rachael has interned at Acosta/Salazar PR firm in Sacramento, CA --working with politicians and interest groups to aide their campaigns. She now spends her days working at the Events and Conferencing Center, in hopes of saving up for the many goodies she hopes to acquire while studying abroad next year. After cultivating an obsession for Her Campus, she opened the UC Davis branch, and now serves as campus correspondant.