This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Jessica Jones is one of the four series from Marvel that hit Netflix this November. Like most Netflix enthusiasts, I binge watched the entire series. I was so excited that Marvel finally added another female superhero into the PrimeTime mix. An action packed 13 episode series with undeniable thrills and kills, this sinister series deserves all the praise in the world. 

The show is unique from Marvel’s other productions because of the underlying message about misogyny throughout the show. Many people are familiar with the campaign “Stop Telling Women to Smile,” a series of artwork that makes efforts to stop street harassment. This same theme, women being forced to “smile” for men, basically encompasses the entirety of the show.

Show runner Melissa Rosenberg commented that “Smile” is 100% inspired by modern day misogyny. The series’ super villain, Kilgrave, has the ability to control people’s actions by one mere command. He often uses the power to feed his fascination with women by controlling their every move. The super villain and former abuser even forces Jessica Jones to smile, though she is not “defined by her gender.”

Rosenberg also highlights physical abuse, rape and post-traumatic stress, which are often neglected in superhero narratives.

While many of the characters possess the striking features of super strength, unbreakable skin, and mind control like most superheroes in comics, the protagonist’s constant fight for survival in a male-dominated, misogynistic world is unique. This show certainly isn’t in danger of failing the Bechdal test. Krysten Ritter plays the role of a lifetime as the lead character while newcomer Erin Moriarty captures us immediately with her performance in the first episode. Rachael Taylor tops it off as the superhero without superpowers. Be warned though, starting the first episode is like hopping into a thirteen-hour movie, and it’s almost impossible to press pause.

Best Episodes: “AKA Ladies Night,” “AKA Smile”

Rate: 9/10

Alexandra is a sophomore English major at UC Davis. She loves reading and writing, and her favorite things to do consist of playing her clarinet in the Band-Uh and talking about her dog, Bear.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!