Is the Musical ‘Hamilton’ Overhyped?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

The critically acclaimed musical Hamilton, written by Lin-Manuel Miranda, tells the life story of Alexander Hamilton in a hip-hop narrative. Most people claim that they would give one of their kidneys to see the musical. Luckily for me, I got the opportunity to see the show on opening night in San Francisco.

To be honest, I lowered my expectations a bit going into the show because I knew it was not performed by the original cast (which includes Lin-Manuel Miranda, Leslie Odom Jr, etc). I also hoped the show was not overhyped considering how much the tickets cost. Don’t be surprised by my review because you should believe the hype. Even with the new San Francisco cast, who sound very similar to the original cast, the show exceeded my expectations. I honestly have no words to describe this masterpiece other than that it is something you have to go see and experience for yourself.

Although the show was long (3 hours to be exact) and some parts/songs were slow, every single song and scene flowed into each other so well; you will not be bored. The energy from the actors will make you feel the full range of emotions, from excited to sad. The show was so well written and performed that you can look past any cons you may personally find. As previously mentioned, I have no words to describe the show other than it is an experience. I highly recommend watching the show before it leaves San Francisco this summer. 

None of the images or gifs used belong to the author or Her Campus UC Davis.

Cover photo source: Michael Short

Sarah is current first year Textiles and Clothing major at UC Davis. She discovered her love for blogging when she started her own personal lifestyle/fashion back in high school. The rest was history as soon as it blew up. On her free time, Sarah enjoys reading biographies and memoirs, catching up on popular culture, discovering new TV shows, and brunching. Sarah hopes to pursue a career in the retail industry involving marketing or merchandising.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!