This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

The story of Mary Poppins is unique in itself. When a mysterious woman waltzes into the lives of the Banks children without previous notice, everyone is a bit stunned, or rather curious.

After all, Mary Poppins is not your typical nanny. She’s snarky, sarcastic, all-knowing, and yet somehow, she manages to have the kids all tucked in for bed and makes the impossible possible. She is somehow able to open the hearts of everyone to the possibilities of magic and mystery. Even the books by P.L. Travers are written in this child-like voice that brings even more wonder to the extraordinary Mary Poppins. 

If you haven’t seen the newest movie, Mary Poppins Returns, you have no idea what you are missing. Although the original movie will forever be in our hearts, this new sequel is just as wonderful and magical as the first. In the hands of great actors and actresses such as Emily Blunt, Lin-Manual Miranda, Meryl Streep, Colin Firth, and so many more, the audience is given a healthy dose of singing, magic, and inspiration. 

The movie is set in the same place, different time. 17 Cherry-tree Lane, the smallest house on the block, is still inhabited by the Banks children. Well, Michael Banks’ children, that is. It is unclear why Mary Poppins has come back, perhaps because that is what she’d promised to do at the end of the first book, but why does Mary Poppins ever show up to Banks’ house in the first place? In the first book, she said she would leave “when the wind comes,” and in the second movie she claimed she had to wait until the “door opens.” There’s always a mystery. In the end, it’s clear that she doesn’t really come to be a nanny, or to teach the children lessons like Nanny McPhee did, but instead arrives to make the impossible possible and to open our hearts up to greater things. Magic and wonder only exists if we let it. 

The Mary Poppins films are known for combining cartoons with live action. Frankly, it’s a little weird, but ultimately, it’s awesome to watch Julie Andrews and Emily Blunt dance around with 2D animals just because. Besides, it would be different if this combination had been done badly. 

For anyone who has seen Mary Poppins Returns, you may have wondered about or expected an appearance by Julie Andrews or some reference to the first 1964 adaption, only to find that there was nothing of this sort whatsoever. When Julie Andrews was asked if she wanted to have a part in the new movie — many thought she might work as the balloon lady — she generously insisted that it was Emily Blunt’s turn to create Mary Poppins and that she didn’t want to get in the way of Blunt’s adaption. Variety reports that, out of respect for Emily Blunt, Julie Andrews told director of the new film, Rob Marshall, “This is Emily’s show and I want her to run with this. She should run with this. This is hers. I don’t want to be on top of that.”

Andrews didn’t want to overshadow anyone, which is incredibly sweet and respectful of her. Although the first film will always be a favorite for many of us, it’s easy to love Emily Blunt and her performance in Mary Poppins Returns… 

Drew Watson studies English at UC Davis. She enjoys reading young adult fantasy, listening to old school R&B, and watching cartoons! Drew is interested in a career in education, or editing/publishing after college, and is hoping to explore all of her options while at Davis.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!