Style > Beauty

Makeup Trends: Why Are They So Hard to Keep Up With?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

I’ve been doing makeup since I was in middle school and until high school, I was still learning about how to use and apply different types of makeup for different types of looks. In seventh grade, I learned how to apply mascara without it getting on my eyelids. By ninth grade, I knew how to apply foundation, eyeliner, lipstick — all the basics. In senior year of high school, I was into trying bright and new eyeshadow looks. I would watch hours of makeup artists doing unique eye makeup looks on YouTube. At some point, I even considered makeup as my passion and was intrigued to keep learning about the makeup world.

But as we entered a global pandemic, TikTok blew up. TikTok has allowed for many creators to gain fame very quickly–many videos would go viral. With TikTok on the rise, the makeup world expanded to spotlight several makeup artists and to allow countless makeup trends to blow up. Artists like Mikayla Nogueira and Meredith Duxbury started out making makeup tutorials and or makeup product reviews. Now, they have become well-known artists with millions of followers, striking brand deals and transforming the makeup world.

But with this new platform of TikTok now gaining popularity within our society, the makeup market has almost become oversaturated. From the go-to drugstore makeup products to the perfect way to do a cut crease eyeshadow look, there are an overwhelming number of creators and videos that have quickly defined and changed how to approach makeup. They have introduced so many techniques, products, and makeup looks that it has become difficult to properly learn a stable makeup routine.

Speaking from my own experience, I have always had an interest in learning and becoming better at makeup. But, with the constantly changing approaches and techniques in the makeup industry, I simply cannot keep up. Makeup has definitely evolved since I was younger, but it has always been gradual and stable. But now, I can barely keep up even with the new way of applying my blush. From something as simple as contour placement or how you line your lips, it evolved to so many different techniques and redefined what is considered “trendy makeup.” Winged eyeliner was in, now it is out. Concealer placement under your eyes was normal, now it has changed to the corners of your eyes. Eyebrows were darkened and brushed, now it involves soap and scissors.

With so many changes, and each one coming at lightning speed, I don’t feel like I have the time to fully revise my makeup routine and master it by the time the next trendy makeup look comes around. Some may call it lazy, but I feel stuck in my same makeup routine from high school because I don’t even know where to begin with the overwhelming amount of changes and additions to the makeup world! Don’t get me wrong, I love makeup and want to continue growing in my journey of experimenting with it, I just wish I could catch a breath amidst this fast-changing makeup world!  

Priya is a second year student at UC Davis majoring in Political Science and Sociology with the hopes of becoming a lawyer in the future. In her free time, she loves to dance, listen to podcasts, and craft gifts for her friends. She's excited to be a part of the HerCampus team and hopes you enjoy reading her articles!