Career > Work

Locating Healthy Work Environments: Navigating Your First Job

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Job acquisition: one of the utmost consequential priorities within the contemporary world, especially for the American college student amassing tuition debt, is to work a job. Frequently, the undergraduate occupies a minimum wage, part-time, entry-level position. Youth years often include the socially common milestone of obtaining your first job. Modernity has instilled a job as necessary for the means of money (i.e. survival) and workplace experience. As we learn what attributes we like and dislike within these positions, we acquire an understanding of what factors we wish to carry into a future career. If college is not for the sole benefit of obtaining greater education, it is additional preparation for a career. Considering that a job is necessary for sustenance and prosperity within American society, it is important to find a relatively healthy work environment. Here I cover various factors I have discussed with peers and experienced that I find to be important when considering future jobs. As obtaining a job is most often a necessity, the workplace can be examined in terms of comfort and financial stability.

These are possible questions to ask oneself when evaluating a current work environment or to consider asking during the interview process:

PROFESSIONALIZATION

If and how is communication presented from higher up to employee? How is respect or lack thereof presented through this communication? What does the level of professionalization in communication indicate about respect for employees? Are workers told to complete tasks that should be allocated to higher-ups, and if completed are those tasks compensated?

STRUCTURE

Is structure present through differing employee job titles and tasks? Does this structure indicate different jobs for different individuals or do all individuals complete the same tasks? Do you prefer more or less structure? Does the structure or lack of structure indicate a slower or faster pace? How heavy or weak is the workload? Is there too much or too little to do?

COWORKER RELATIONSHIPS

Is there healthy communication and prioritization of teamwork over individual superiority? Can individuals find a sense of reliability with other coworkers? Do coworkers communicate their pay to each other to understand if individuals are accurately compensated for their work? 

CLEANLINESS & SAFETY

Is safety a priority over profits? How do higher-ups ensure the safety of the employees? Is cleanliness present? Who is dedicated the responsibility for ensuring cleanliness? If cleanliness and safety dissipate and communication of such is given from employee to higher up, what is the expediency of the fix, if it is provided at all? What does this display about the respect and care for the employees by higher-ups? How do higher-ups, if they do, prioritize the safety and health of employees over profit?

PROMISE-KEEPING

Are you provided meals and payment for parking? Are you provided water? How frequent are your breaks? Are the number and length of breaks communicated accurately? Are you paid the prescribed amount for the job, and if the prescribed amount has changed after acquiring said job, was your pay increased? Are you taught all requirements of the job? Are you taught what is required before you must complete a task or must you learn on the spot?

COMPENSATED LABOR

Do higher-ups allow for efficient communication between employees and customers or do they require greater emotional labor than compensation? Do higher-ups make effective communication accessible or repremandible? Where is the line drawn by an individual between the ability to complete a task and providing the customer with a good experience?

As we grapple with the conception that a job is a necessity for survival, we should consider factors that indicate a relatively healthy work environment. My personal opinion is that the individual should give greater importance to their health and happiness. Accordingly, one must understand how to identify a healthy environment so that the practice of labor itself does not become overbearing. Many individuals do not have the privilege to switch from job to job, as money is a necessity. Take note of your feelings within the workplace. Pay attention to the communication of respect, safety, and health or a lack thereof from higher-ups.

(She/Her) Juliet is a fourth year at UC Davis, majoring in Political Science — Public Service and minoring in Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s studies.