This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

When I first went off to college, I heard the same thing over and over again: “don’t room with your best friend.” At first, it didn’t make sense to me; wouldn’t it be an ideal living situation? Then, after experiencing cramped dorm life and how easy it is to become finicky over small things, I understood. Now, in my third year of college, not only am I living with six other girls, but I am doing what everyone tells you not to – living with my best friend. Let me tell you, it’s great.

Amelia Kramer-Coffee Shop Friend Date
Amelia Kramer / Her Campus
In my first year of college I shared a dorm with 3 other girls; last year I was able to swing a single room, now this year I am in a double. After deciding to room with my best friend for this school year I got a little nervous. What if we butt heads? What if our perfect friendship gets tainted because we share a living space? I hoped none of these things would happen and knock on wood, after 3 months together, it still hasn’t!

I absolutely ADORE my best friend. In a completely emotional way, she is my soulmate. We click so easily and understand each other very well. Before living together, we hung out at least 2-3 times a week. It was usually social events or small coffee dates but was always tons of fun. I could never tell if we were still in the “friendship honeymoon phase” or this was how our relationship is. Now that I share a room with her, I can honestly say that is just how it is. Obviously, because we are spending more time together, we see each other more stressed out, sad, angry, etc. than ever before, but since we click so uniquely, we both know how to handle each other. We know when to give each other space or when to force some hard talks. I have never once regretted rooming with my best friend, and I do not think I ever will.

For the past three months, I have not spent a day without my best friend, and I am glad. I love being her roommate and I am so grateful for our strong connection. I am thankful for our late-night talks, The Mandalorian viewing parties, Halo Top obsession, and of course, our lifelong friendship. I know we will laugh about how cheesy this article is, but it did come from the heart. 

Lauren Wharton is a third year UC Davis student majoring in Animal Sciences. In her free time, she enjoys weightlifting, CrossFit, eating copious amounts of Halo Top, and spending time with her family, friends, and Shiba Inu, Mable.