This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and if you don’t have anything planned, no worries, that’s what I’m here for! Davis may be a small town but I think it’s time we embrace our slogan of “middle of nowhere but middle of everywhere!” We’re lucky enough to have big cities like San Francisco and Sacramento right next to us which could be a perfect date night destination. If you don’t have the transportation to anywhere but Davis, I’ll be sure to list some cute ideas locally in Davis. 

San Francisco is a romantic hotspot. Between fancy restaurants and beautiful lights there’s almost too much to do! To start off your day trip you could go to Ghirardelli Chocolate Factory and pick out some of your favorite chocolates while strolling around and enjoying the view of the Bay. If you and your partner are big plant fans, there’s a plant shop called Succulence which has their own planting bar where you can make your own plant arrangements or terrariums everyday from 10am-5pm! After you’ve done that, head to dinner with a view at Scoma’s restaurant and enjoy some amazing seafood like their famous Clam Chowder. Be sure to end your dinner before 7pm because the Aquarium of the Bay is having a special Night Waves event on February 14th from 7-10pm where you can see the animals after hours with cash bars and dessert throughout the aquarium (*18+). On the way back home stop by Twin Peaks viewpoint and embrace the city lights at night before heading back. 

Looking for a closer city to go to? Sacramento has all your needs covered! Start out with a stroll through one of Sacramento’s breathtaking parks: William Land Park, McKinley Park, or Sutter’s Landing Park. Bring a speaker, blanket and an activity to do such as painting, bracelet making, or a card game to pass time in a beautiful scenery. After you’re done you can head over to Old Sacramento and walk through the shops and enjoy the street art done by local artists. When you get hungry, try Scott’s Seafood next to the river with an elegant view while eating. Once your food has settled, Old Sacramento has a ferris wheel overlooking the river, ending the night with a perfect Love Simon kiss. 

Last but not least, Davis is home to the most romantic stroll of all, the arboretum. Starting at the entrance behind Shields Oak Grove and Gazebo, you and your partner can walk through until to the exit by Mukuni. The arboretum is the perfect place for a picnic with food from Trader Joe’s such as their pre-packaged sandwiches, unique drinks and bite sized desserts (don’t forget to grab some flowers as well!). Once you’re done with the walk you can see the premiere of Magic Mike (or any movie) at any of the local Davis theaters. Both Regal Cinemas in Davis offer $5.95 movies for members on Tuesdays and it’s free to sign up through their app. After the movie, stop by Davis Creamery for a late night sweet treat to end the night. 

Planning events for Valentine’s day doesn’t have to be stressful! Hopefully some of these ideas are useful and help you execute the perfect Valentine’s Day. Between San Francisco, Sacramento and Davis there are plenty of things to do on Tuesday, February 14 with your partner. 

Hi!! My name is Ariana and I'm currently a third year Communications major here at UC Davis! My writing for HerCampus mainly consists of women's health and wellness as well as food reviews. I love to explore the outdoors with my friends and play volleyball on the weekends. I'm always open to new song recommendations and day trip ideas! I hope you enjoy my articles :)