Kindness goes a long way, so we made it a day!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Kindness, commonly linked to one’s inner satisfaction and joyfulness, can be motivation for how to act; however, it is optional to go ‘out of our way’ to be kind. What if, rather than courteousness motivated by joy, kindness was a daily practice? How would the world change if every day we woke up and chose to extend genuine kindness to others? Exploring this alternative lifestyle, Australia, Thailand, the United States, and the United Kingdom (National Today) joined in assigning November 13th as a day dedicated to multitudes of kindness. The hope is to create a day raising awareness around the importance of kindness as a unifying force by highlighting “good deeds in the community” and the positivity it creates, binding us together (National Today). 

I assume you have now realized, today is that special day! Today is November 13th, Kindness Day!

Kindness can come across in a million ways, and as I imagine it, the ultimate message to others is: “I hope you have a great day!” And thus, today we celebrate the joys we collectively create! Here are a few ways in which this holiday is recognized throughout the world.

Some activities, as the list of ways to be kind, is infinite in my opinion, recognized as “World Kindness Day Activities” fall under three categories (National Today):

• Three Random Acts
  • Extra (and long) hugs
  • Love Poems 

However, as noted by Katia Hetter from CNN Health, Kindness can fall under additional categories including but not limited to (CNN Health):

• Kindness towards oneself
  • Kindness toward one’s family
  • Kindness toward one’s community
  • Kindness towards the environment 

Kindness is universal, expansive, and reaps benefits we might underestimate the power of, so here are 13 ways to be kind on this very special day (and every day)!

1. Three Random Acts
    • Kindness towards oneself
      • Take time out of your day to read a book under some trees or write a new song at the beach!
    • Kindness toward one’s family
      • Call your parent(s) for 15 minutes to tell them you love them (CNN Health)
    • Kindness toward one’s community
      • Vote and help someone register to vote (CNN Health)
      • Open the door for someone!
    • Kindness towards the environment 
      • Volunteer in a litter cleanup (CNN Health)
      • Donate to water conservation or other organizations focused on environmental protection
      • RECYCLE, REDUCE, REUSE, REPURPOSE 
        • This could be reusing Tupperware/replacing your plastic ones with glass or donating old clothes to shelters and other organizations linked to homelessness and/ or increased accessibility etc…
      • Offer blankets to stray dogs you come across and some food (DOG FOOD ONLY PLEASE)
        • Touching stray animals is not always safe for them or you, so please respect their boundaries and notify your closest animal rescue of the animals’ whereabouts and observable health status
  2. Extra (and long) hugs
    • Kindness towards oneself
      • Give yourself a hug!
    • Kindness toward one’s family
      • Hug your grandparents and let them know you’re there for them (time is sacred, we truly only have time to love one another)
  3. Love Poems 
    • Kindness towards oneself
      • Write an “I Am” poem!
    • Kindness toward one’s family
      • Leave an “I love you” voicemail for a relative
    • Kindness toward one’s community
      • Drop off little love notes (“You have a beautiful smile” or “I see you and you are so resilient and worthwhile”) at a cafe for customers to find!

What does kindness mean to you? How will you brighten the day for yourself, your family, your community, and your environment? And more importantly — how can you transform kindness in your life from a feeling and motivator into a practice for life? 

Lastly, as one of my random acts of kindness for today I just wanted to say:

I appreciate your time, your voice matters, you are making a difference, and you are loved. I, an appreciative writer of each and every one of my readers, love you. I hope you have a great day! <3

Sage R.J. Lang is a fourth year at UC Davis, majoring in Sociology with a minor in Education. Sage has pursued their undergraduate degree while traveling abroad, including Davis, Santa Barbara, Washington D.C., and most recently Thailand. Sage has been writing since 2015 and looks forward to sharing their voice with the readers of Her Campus before graduating and pursuing their many career dreams. While Sage's focus is more usually creative prose, they look forward to expanding their horizons towards a more journalistic and personal style. Sage hopes to improve the experiences of current, new, and incoming Davis Aggies with their articles and looks forward to engaging with campus doing something they love deeply.