If You’re Not Watching SNL… You Should Be

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

It doesn’t matter if the world is looking at the possibility of nuclear qar, SNL has a comedy sketch for it.

It may seem as if the situation in our country or the world can’t get any worse at times. We have issues ranging from sexual assault, to “Did Russia have anything to do with our election?”, all the way to figuring out which Kardashian is pregnant or not.

If there is one place where all of this can come together, it is Saturday Night Live.

SNL is live from New York City on Saturdays, runs for about two hours, and features a series of comedic sketches about current events, celebrity gossip, and more. 

Every week there is a celebrity host, (previous hosts have been Lin Manuel Miranda, Chance the Rapper, Jimmy Fallon, and more), along with a musical guest (like Taylor Swift, Eminem, and Harry Styles).

To give you a taste of what you can expect from a typical SNL, the following are some of my personal favorite sketches and musical performances.

1. Come Back, Barack

Chance the Rapper, along with the cast, do an amazing job at portraying some of our feelings in this sketch.

2. Welcome to Hell

This 3-minute-long video brings forth the terrible reality women have faced for years. Although they were joking, they were completely being honest about the fact that sexual assault has been going on for years, and it is something we have to address as a society then and now.

3. White House Christmas Cold Open

Yes, SNL does get their hands dirty with politics, but the comedy is gold.

4. Levi’s Wokes

“Introducing Wokes, sizeless, style-neutral, gender non-conforming denim for a generation that defies labels.” Enough said!

5. Lion King Auditions

This sketch shows us the “auditions” we did not hear about for the upcoming live action film of the Lion King.

6. Mirrors – Justin Timberlake

*heart eyes*

7. Million Reasons – Lady Gaga

A very heartfelt performance and amazing vocals, what else can you ask for?

8. Radioactive – Imagine Dragons

Throwback to one of the biggest songs of 2014.

9. Diamonds – Rihanna

I don’t know about you, but my heart stops every time she hits that note at 3:33.

10. … Ready For It? – Taylor Swift

The first live performance of the new Taylor was on SNL just a few weeks ago.

This is just some of what SNL has to offer for you Saturday nights, and I hope you decide to give SNL a chance. After all, laughter is the medicine.

Cover image source: StockSnap, Sven Scheuermeier

Joyce is a third year studying Communication at UC Davis and is from Tracy, CA. Joyce enjoys musical theatre, reading anything from classics and current bestsellers, eating pizza and cheesecake, all while waiting for the next and final episode of the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy.
Mariana graduated from University of California, Davis in 2018 with bachelor's degrees in English and linguistics. She currently works as an editor for a biotechnology company in Seattle, WA.