This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

One of my favorite theories that has surfaced on the internet is related to two of my favorite musical artists: Taylor Swift and Harry Styles. Due to their superior lyrics and unspoken dialogue connecting the pair’s songs ever since their fling in 2012, fans joke and theorize (some more serious than others) that the two committed vehicular manslaughter together. Due to the lyrics in many of their songs, many believe Styles was the one who was driving and that he is not a good driver at that. 

Their relationship occurred in late 2012 and was short but sweet. Many fans even refer to them as their “divorced parents” now that they are apart. Despite this relationship often coming off as a publicity stunt, some of the lyrics in their songs give away the idea that the couple committed a crime involving a car. Starting with their songs entitled “Ever Since New York” (Styles) and “Welcome to New York” (Swift) that refer to the location of their relationship, the discography of the two singers is filled with connections to each other and this alleged crime. 

skyline of New York at night
Photo by Luca Bravo from Unsplash
One of the biggest lyrical giveaways for this theory comes from Swift’s song, “Out of the Woods,” which includes the infamous bridge:

“remember when you hit the brakes too soon?

twenty stitches in a hospital room

when you started crying, baby, I did too

but when the sun came up, I was looking at you

remember when we couldn’t take the heat?

I walked out, I said “I’m setting you free”

but the monsters turned out to be just trees

When the sun came up you were looking at me”

…​and the lyrics (in repetition) “are we out of the woods yet? / are we in the clear yet?”

Republic Records
While Swift makes this seem as though this song could be about a relationship and whether or not things are exclusive and official (which is often tied back to Styles anyways), it has often been used to reference back to the car accident, and Swift’s decision to leave Styles behind, which is also mentioned in a few of her other songs such as “Getaway Car.” Additionally, “Out of the Woods” is to show Swift’s fears and doubts as to whether they will get away with the crime or not.

In another one of her songs, “I Know Places,” Swift sings

“Something happens when everybody finds out / see the vulture circling the dark clouds” and “Baby I know places we won’t be found and they’ll be / chasing their tails trying to track us down / ‘cause I, I know places we can hide, I know places / they are the hunters, we are the foxes / and we run”

This relates to the two running away and trying to cover up this crime. This song is from 1989, which encompasses many of Taylor’s other songs relating to the accident, the biggest one being “Style.”  While “I Know Places” narrates the post crime run away, “Style” alludes to the incident itself, and just by the name, it is clear to be about Harry. In this song, Swift starts with “Midnight, you come and pick me up, no headlights / long drive, could end in burning flames or paradise” and further details “so it goes, he can’t keep his wild eyes on the road” which demonstrates Style’s lack of driving skills, and distraction on the road by Taylor herself, that likely led to the accident.

Additionally, hints to the accident can be seen in some of Styles’ songs as well. One being “Two Ghosts” which repeats “we’re not who we used to be” and further says “tongue-tied like we’ve never known / telling those stories we already told / ‘cause we don’t say what we really mean” showing how the accident drove the two apart and changed them into people they no longer recognize. If there is any doubt this song relates to Swift, let me point out that Styles opens the song with “Same lips red, same eyes blue” which describes Swift. Then, he follows with “same white shirt, couple more tattoos” to describe himself. In Swift’s song, she states “I got that red lip, classic thing that you like” and “you’ve got that long hair slick back, white t-shirt” to describe Harry and to further connect the two songs.

To further follow on how Harry’s “Two Ghosts” refers to a post-accident Haylor and their regrets, in “Ever Since New York” Styles claims “I’ve been praying ever since New York” and spends the rest of the song asking for someone (presumably Swift) to come back. 

While there is no clear evidence that the infamous couple was able to commit vehicular manslaughter and get away with it, it is still a possibility. And according to Swift’s “No Body No Crime,” she’s cleaned enough houses to know how to cover up a scene…  

Shira Blieden is a Genetics and Genomics major at UCD. She enjoys reading, and crocheting, and hopes to pursue a career in genetic counseling after she graduates.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!