This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

When I moved into my house it had some… weird energy. I thought that maybe I got this eerie, haunted feeling from the vastness of my new empty bedroom. As I began filling the room up with furniture and valued keepsakes, however, the feeling persisted.

Perhaps it was the non-functional fireplace, plugged with an overstuffed couch cushion that would not budge from its place. Or maybe it was the frequent power outages and strange sounds that the house made during a storm. It didn’t help that one of my housemates kept asking us if we thought something was under the floorboards (or worse, what could be in the chimney).

When a disembodied voice named George began asking my housemate for chicken and waffles, I decided that I had enough. I asked the other girls in my house if they got the same weird feeling that I did, and they responded with a unanimous, “Yes!”. I couldn’t tell if I was relieved or more creeped out since I thought that I was the only one who felt the strange vibes.

We decided that we wanted to get rid of the bad energy for good, so we decided to smudge our home. Smudging is the act of burning bound sage and dispersing the smoke throughout the areas in your home. My housemates and I lit a candle and spoke good intentions into the flame (I know, we were desperate) and began covering every square inch of our home. Needless to say, we spent extra time around the fireplace.

We hoped that the sage banished George and the creepy sensations from our home for good. This seemed to be the case until last week when we received mail to our home for someone named George. We will definitely be looking into some new methods to cleanse our home.

Madison Lefler is a third year at UC Davis double majoring in Psychology and Environmental Policy Analysis and Planning, with a minor in Technology Management. She is also a Sustainability Peer Educator for UC Davis Student Housing and Dining and enjoys makeup tutorials on YouTube, making boards on Pinterest for everything, and drinking overpriced lattes with her girlfriends.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!