Girl In Snow With Jean Jacket
Girl In Snow With Jean Jacket
Anna Thetard / Her Campus
Style > Fashion

How to Stay Warm this Winter Quarter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

When I was younger, I always felt annoyed whenever my parents told me to bundle up for the cold weather. I hated having to wear bulky jackets and itchy scarves every time the temperature dropped below 50℉. However, now that I’m older and living in Davis, where the temperatures can drop below freezing during the winter, I find myself willingly donning various layers and winter accessories to keep warm. 

This winter quarter I have three morning classes, which isn’t the most ideal situation; not only because I’m not a morning person, but also because the low temperatures from the night before tend to carry over to the early hours of the day. In light of this development, I have compiled a list of a few tips and tricks I adhere to, to stay warm during the winter quarter!

Celina Timmerman-Sweater Weather
Celina Timmerman / Her Campus

Layer up!

The key to staying warm during the colder months is to wear layers. A common misconception about dressing for warmth is that wearing just one thick or bulky layer will be enough to stave off the winter chill. However, wearing plenty of layers rather than a single layer will keep you exponentially warmer than the latter choice. The first/base layer you want to wear should be relatively thin and close to your body to preserve body heat, such as thin knits or thermals. This layer should also be composed of moisture-wicking material, meaning that it brings liquid (e.g. sweat) to the surface while staying dry. When you’re walking or biking between classes, sweating is a common occurrence, which is well and good; but once you’re no longer in motion, having wet fabric against your skin can make you feel even colder.

The best moisture-wicking fabrics and materials are wool (e.g. Merino wool, wool-acrylic blend), nylon, and polyester so try to opt for clothing that is composed of such materials to stay warm and dry. For the mid-layer, a vest, jacket, or pull-over of some kind works well to further help insulate body heat. Opt for such fabrics and compositions as fleece, down insulation (duck or goose feathers), or synthetic insulation (polyester fibers). If it’s windy and rainy, be sure to wear an outer such as a water-repellent jacket to shield you from rainfall or chilly winds. 

For pants, fleece is a great heat-insulating fabric option to look for when browsing for pants that will keep you warm. However, if you find yourself still shivering from the winter chill, a trick I like to do is wear leggings under my jeans or sweatpants for an extra layer of warmth. 

All together, these layers shouldn’t be constricting or suffocating. You shouldn’t be struggling to move your arms or do simple movements. The goal is to stay cozy and mobile while having the ability to shed any layers as the temperature fluctuates. 

Winter Accessories!

When dressing for cold weather, you might also be thinking about donning a winter accessory or two to keep your hands, head, or feet warm. If you plan to use any touch-screen devices throughout the day, be sure to wear compatible mittens. If your hands get easily cold like mine do, consider wearing fleece or wool mittens to keep your fingers warm. You could also stash hand warmers or warming packets in your pockets for added warmth. Long wool socks and leg warmers can also help protect your feet and ankles from the cold. 

Though it’s a myth that we lose most of our body heat from our head and neck, it’s still important to keep those areas covered and bundled up. Wearing scarves and beanies are both adequate and appropriate choices for this task. 

Hydrate with a warm beverage or snack!

Perhaps this is just an excuse for me to justify my habit of buying drinks and little treats after class, but I love to warm myself up with a hot beverage (preferably a chai latte) and baked pastry. The Peets coffee in the Silo is a great choice for drinks and snacks, as they offer a student discount and accept AggieCash (I recommend trying the vanilla latte!). Or if you love hot liquids, you can’t go wrong with the seasonal soup at the Crepe Bistro in the Silo (it’s currently French onion soup!). A budget-friendly option is to boil water and store it in a thermos to make tea or instant coffee. 

It’s imperative that you bundle up and stay warm this winter to prevent any chance of catching a cold (especially as the quarter progresses). I hope these tips were helpful and informative! Stay warm and dry!

Vivian is an English major at UC Davis. In her spare time, she enjoys watching Studio Ghibli movies, attempting new recipes she finds online, and fiercely debating strangers on the validity of pineapples on pizza.