How to Host: A Guide to Making Your Guests Want to Come Back

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Have you ever hosted your friends over and broken down before the day even began because you didn’t know how to go about your 100 task to-do list? Well, you have arrived at your destination because this is a step-by-step guide to making your house feel like a home and making your guests want to come back for the Crème Brulee you promised them.

Mason Jars Dinner Party
Breanna Coon / Her Campus

If you’re in your hosting era like me and are planning to host your friends or family over for dinner and create unforgettable memories, all you need to do is make this guide your mantra.

·        Invites: The very first step to having the perfect party is to let your guests know there is one. A cute, themed poster has always worked wonders for me. There’s a sea full of options for apps that allow you to make posters. I personally love Canva and have always used it to make all my invitations. Make sure to begin with a catchy slogan to make your guests interested. Speaking from personal experience, a good idea would be to never forget to mention the venue, time, day, and date. You can follow any theme from a tropical beach day to a cozy PJ night. Provide your guests with a phone number for RSVP. Growing up, I’ve always seen my parents make personal calls to their guests for invitations. “It adds a personal touch,” says my Dad. And to this day, I make sure to call every guest personally and let them know how important their presence would be at the gathering.

·        Menu: One common mistake that I’ve made in the past is to try to incorporate a plethora of dishes because I want to go above and beyond for my guests. While that is a beautiful gesture, it tends to become overwhelming for the guests because they probably want to try your spaghetti, but they’re too full from the jalapeño poppers you made for entrée. Keeping your menu coherent is the key to hosting any party. Trust me, you don’t want to confuse the guests by serving them a Taco salad, Moroccan rice, Pizza, and Baklava in the same night. Sticking to one cuisine or a theme really helps put together the menu and make it consistent. If you’re trying out a new recipe for the first time, I would advise you to do a taste test a few days before the actual party so that you can figure out whether it’s the right flavor profile for your guests or if you need to tweak any spices for the final day. Keeping your guests dietary and allergen preferences under consideration while designing the menu will make them feel special and cared for. Only try to serve dishes you know you can arrange for the amount of guests you’re expecting to have. No one wants to make lobsters for 20 people!

·        Keeping up with the Kleaning: Do I even need to emphasize this? This is probably every host’s biggest nightmare. Just getting the space cleaned out is a task by itself and honestly, you should be proud of yourself for being able to conquer that. Whether you have kids or you’re a college student, it’s never an easy job to be able to keep it shiny. But it’s always a positive experience if you clean the space out for your guests and make them feel welcome. It’s simple: go about the usual drill with vacuuming, doing the dishes, putting out your laundry and scrubbing away your sorrows in the sink.

·        Ambience: No sane person in the world will complain about a freshly lit candle in the room. If you want to be the talk of the town, a simple way would be to keep your home visually aesthetic and fascinating for your guests. You can do this by setting a theme for the party. Find a table runner or table mats that match the vibe of the event. Candles are always helpful to set the mood. You can also change the cushions for the couch or bring fresh flowers to take your hosting up a notch. My personal favorite is to have music in the background. However, the choice of the music is instrumental because listening to UTOPIA during a family gathering would be abysmal.

·        Last minute tips: My mom would always pick out the crockery and utensils a day before the party and label them with the dishes they correspond to. Having the right serving utensil for each dish makes a huge difference in the overall dining experience. If you need to move any furniture or bring out extra chairs from the attic, get it done hours before your guests come. One little change I want to incorporate in my hosting routine is to have snacks open and served on the kitchen island or a table so that my guests don’t have to go through a series of awkward questions to get me to bring them snacks every now and then. Keep an empty trash can accessible to all your guests and make sure you have a constant supply of drinking water so that all your dehydrated kings and queens can achieve their water goal for the day. The last thing would be to make sure you have all the supplies you need for serving beverages. If you’re like me then butterfly and star shaped ice would be the way to go!

Whether it’s a laid-back lunch or a decorated dinner, it is crucial for your guests to feel warm and welcomed in your home. So always invite them into your home with a positive aura and mindset. Do not beat yourself about anything because at the end of the day, you’re doing all of this to make memories that you want to cherish forever. And don’t forget to capture it all!

Happy hosting!

Hi, I am Suhani Salgia, a sophomore at the University of California, Davis. I am an international student from India am a majoring in Managerial Economics with a Technology Management minor. I want to pursue a career in Marketing and am really interested in learning about consumer behavior and the luxury fashion market. Growing up, I trained as a competitive swimmer and dancer. I love doing water sports, playing board games with friends, exploring music and making Pinterest mood boards.