This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

As an English major, there is nothing more challenging than not being able to get any reading done. With the workload of multiple English classes in the quarter, it’s hard to keep up with all the readings that are due. There has never been a quarter where I’ve been perfectly exempt from this mental blocking, so it’s become a recurring issue that I can’t seem to escape from. Although it’s a frustrating process when my studies revolve around reading and critical thinking, there are steps that I take to get myself out of this slump and back into a productive mindset. 

1. Take a Break: Although it sounds like a pretty simple task, I find that taking a break when my brain isn’t taking any information in is the most effective way to get myself out of a short-term slump. When my brain has a short distraction, whether it be going on TikTok or eating a snack, I find myself feeling more relaxed and ready to take on my reading. For the most part, I like to use my calendar to set aside time to take a break in between readings. This way, there isn’t such a big pressure to complete everything at once; instead, I can do it in small increments. 
  1. Listen to the Audiobook: If you’re able to do your readings through an audiobook, I find that it gives a nice balance of listening and reading. This way, you are consuming the information, but don’t have to give your full attention to the readings. Although some textbooks are online or are physical and don’t come with an audio or text-to-speech option, if you do have it, then choose the audiobook! For the books that I read for pleasure, listening to the audiobook helps me do multiple tasks at once while still allowing me to consume a good story. For more challenging reads especially, like classics, I find that listening to them helps my comprehension. Some books might be available as audiobooks on Spotify, Youtube, or Audible for free, so it’s accessible and a cheap alternative if it’s available!
  2. Space out the reading: I am a big believer in planning everything out. Anything that I intend to do in the week, it is going directly on my planner. This includes assignments, hang-out sessions with friends, and, yes, even readings. When I don’t feel the immense pressure of having to read larger segments of a text, I find that it helps ease my anxiety knowing that I’m doing some of the reading, but not all of it. Thus, the reading I have to do isn’t as daunting as it would be if it was a larger portion of the text. In doing so, I know what is expected of me when I have to read, and I know that even if my brain is too packed with information, there is only a little bit of information left that I need to learn for the rest of the day. 

No matter how much I read or how much I enjoy the readings, reading slumps follow behind me, plotting their next attack. So, I am no stranger to this common issue that happens a lot to college students, or just about anyone who enjoys reading. Even if I am reading smaller texts or fewer literary works than usual, sometimes my brain does not want to process anything that my eyes are reading. As I feel myself falling into these slumps, these are the steps I take to either get out of one or avoid them altogether. Getting out of a reading slump is hard, but it’s doable!

Lizzie is currently a third year English and Psychology double major at University of California, Davis. Her interests include reading and writing romance novels, obsessing over period pieces (mostly Jane Austen), and trying to find all the easter eggs in Taylor Swift's music videos. After graduation, Lizzie is interested in pursuing her MA in Journalism.