How to Deal with Long-Distance Friendships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

You and your best friend have been through everything together. They were always there to help you choose everything from tomorrow’s outfit to your prom dress to what college you’re going to commit to. They’ve been your shoulder to cry on through your favorite sad movies, unrequited crushes, and bad test grades. You’ve been together for years until suddenly you are hundreds or even thousands of miles away from each other. Long distance friendships are hard, but your relationship is strong enough to get through it.

Talk often

You don’t have to text or call each other daily, but communicate as much as you can. You aren’t with each other every day, so you’re no longer sharing the same experiences. The only way for your friend to know what you’re up to and what adventures you’ve been going on is if you tell them. Don’t just text each other–make plans to call or video chat to catch up on all the things you’ve missed over the past couple weeks.

Send photos

Don’t just tell your best friend what you’ve been up to: show them. Sending each other photos is like offering a window into each other’s lives, so you almost feel like you are experiencing their adventures with them. Whether you are sharing something simple, like a dessert you know your best friend would love, or that you visited somewhere they’ve always wanted to go, pictures will show your friend what you’re experiencing in a way that words can’t.

Send letters or packages

Text messages don’t compare to real handwritten notes from someone you love. Send your best friend letters saying how much you miss them; write funny inside jokes, or send photos of some of your favorite memories. Send care packages with their favorite candy bars, cereals, or stuffed animals that remind you of them. Letters and packages remind them that you love them and are thinking of them despite how far apart you are from each other.

Give each other space

It’s hard to imagine, but you are living different lives now. There will be times when you’re busy with your new life and friends, and the same goes for your best friend. Be understanding. You might not be able to talk as much as before, but that doesn’t mean that your bond isn’t as strong as it always has been. You’ve been through so much together; distance will only make your relationship stronger.

Meet up over the breaks

Make sure to plan days to see each other in person. Thanksgiving, Winter, Easter— those breaks aren’t long compared to the rest of the year, so spend as much time with each other as you can before you’re separated again. Texting and video chatting are great communication devices, but there is nothing like seeing your best friend in person.

At the end of the day, your best friend is your best friend. The distance may test or strain your relationship in ways you didn’t anticipate, but you’ll both come out stronger and with a greater appreciation for your friendship.

None of the gifs used belong to the author or Her Campus UC Davis.

Ravina is a second year Comparative Literature major at UC Davis. When not studying, she enjoys watching Brooklyn Nine Nine and rereading the Harry Potter series.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!