Holiday Characters from around the World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

One of the most popular holiday figures around the world is Santa Claus, who is frequently pictured as a jolly man with a white beard, big belly, and red suit. Some countries have similar versions of holiday characters, who reward children for good behavior. Others frighten children in order to demand good behavior. Here are a few holiday characters from around the globe that you may not know about!

Krampus

Krampus is a terrifying creature with horns and fangs who punishes children for bad behavior by stealing their toys, physically harming them, or kidnapping them. He frightens children in Austria and surrounding countries, including Germany, France, and Italy. While Santa Claus uses coal to discourage children from being naughty, Krampus uses fear to threaten children into being good.

Befana

The Italian Christmas Witch, La Befana, flies around on her broomstick leaving presents for good children and coal for naughty ones. Families leave her a glass of wine and a plate of sausage or broccoli, unlike the milk and cookies typically left for Santa. She also enters houses via chimneys, and is pictured as a kind, smiling older woman.

Père Fouettard

This character from France and Southern Belgium is known for leaving coal or giving beatings to children who misbehave while Santa accompanies him with gifts for the good children. In English, his name translates to “Father Whipper.” He appears as a thin man with dark robes, a long beard, and a whip in hand.

Tió de Nadal

In Aragon and Catalonia, Tió de Nadal is presented as a Christmas log with a smiling face. Starting on December 8th, he is fed little bits of food and draped with a blanket to keep warm. On Christmas Day, he leaves small gifts for the family in the fireplace.

Jolasveinar

The Yule Lads of Iceland are thirteen trolls who reward good children and leave rotting vegetables for bad behavior. They were originally portrayed as dangerous, sometimes criminal pranksters, but with names including Candle Stealer, Door Slammer, and Gully Gawk, they became known as more mischievous troublemakers who do not cause any harm.

Enjoy the upcoming break and happy holidays, collegiettes!

Rep Image courtesy of Kirsten Burrell

*None of the images are owned by the author or Her Campus

Ravina is a second year Comparative Literature major at UC Davis. When not studying, she enjoys watching Brooklyn Nine Nine and rereading the Harry Potter series.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!