This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

To be honest, I’m not a fan of horror movies or the slasher/gore genre. But when October rolls around, so do all the movie nights and watch parties for films like The Conjuring or Scream which I would rather avoid. It can be hard to get into the spooky Halloween spirit when you’re sick of jump scares and tired of having possessed-doll nightmares from when your friends made you watch Child’s Play. However, there are still plenty of movies that encapsulate the vibes of Halloween perfectly — and in a way that won’t keep you up at night. Here’s a compilation of Halloween movies that are spooky, but not scary!

1. Coraline (2009) 

A movie that should be included in October lists more often, Coraline is a must-watch in the fall. Based on Neil Gaiman’s novella Coraline, it follows a young girl (voiced by Dakota Fanning!) and her adventures in her family’s new house as she discovers an alternate universe of sorts. I’ll bet you watched it once when you were little and never again. 

But watching ‘Coraline’ as an adult, you gain an appreciation for the film’s incredible stop-motion animation and a short but gorgeously spooky soundtrack. In fact, Coraline won the 2009 Annie Award for best score for an animated feature.

2. THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS (1993) 

Animated movies — for the light-hearted, of course — are a classic part of October culture. You can’t forget the best aesthetic of them all: Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas! Set in the town of Halloween, king Jack Skellington tries his best to cement Halloween as the better holiday as opposed to Christmas. I find this movie is so stunningly one-of-a-kind, with memorable characters and cute songs. It’s the kind of animation that plays well with kids and adults, so it’s even better for college in-betweens. 

Tim Burton’s 2005 Corpse Bride is good for many of the same reasons! If you liked one, check out the other.

3. THE ADDAMS FAMILY (1991) 

A timeless inspiration for Halloween costumes, The Addams Family is a peek into the life of a family absolutely committed to their all-black and goth aesthetic as they supposedly reconnect with a long-lost relative. With a talented cast, a plot full of family dynamics, supernatural elements, and every line of dialogue from Wednesday Addams, there’s a lot to love.

A fun fact: Cher was originally cast to play Morticia Addams, the family’s mother. Anjelica Huston landed the role instead, but this movie wouldn’t be the same without her!

4. GHOSTBUSTERS (1984) 

There’s been sequels and spin-offs, but the original Ghostbusters is one of my favorites. As a supernatural comedy, it’s about a ghost-catching business in New York started by three experts. In its time, this film was known for its extensive use of special effects. Today, it’s beloved for just about everything, a hugely significant influence of modern media. In 2015, the United States Library of Congress selected Ghostbusters for preservation in the National Film Registry.

You’ll watch this movie, and the Ghostbusters theme song won’t leave your head until Christmas. 

If you’re not feeling into the rush of Halloween decor and trips to the pumpkin patch, watching movies is a sure way to get your spirits going. Whether you prefer animated or not, these movies have withstood the test of time and stay relevant year after year!

Keerthi is a second-year at UC Davis with a love for all things writing. In her free time, she plays soccer, reads, and goes thrifting.