Style

Goodwill Bins 101: A Unique Yet Rewarding Form of Thrifting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Within the past few years,  thrifting has increased in popularity, whether it be for clothes, furniture, materials for DIY home decor, etc. Nowadays, practically everything can be thrifted. 

Not only is thrifting a fun activity, but also oftentimes the “vintage” styles are more fashionable than clothing items found in typical fast fashion stores. It also is a good alternative to shopping at traditional stores, as second-hand shopping is much more environmentally friendly. 

However, due to its rise in popularity,  thrifting has become much more expensive. Many stores, such as chains like Goodwill and other traditional thrift shops, continue to have overall lower prices than mainstream, commercial stores. However, many “vintage” stores that sell hand-selected pieces that tend to be more fashionable are now nearly equivalent in price to buying first-hand.

Personally, I love the unique styles that second-hand stores tend to provide; however, it oftentimes is not a significantly cheaper alternative, especially with a college student’s budget. 

The one “hack” I have found to thrift on a budget is the Goodwill Outlet, also known as “the bins.” 

The Goodwill Outlet is an outlet-style branch of the Goodwill stores that sells remaining items that have been discarded from the racks of the main stores and thus sent to the outlet for “last chance” purchases.

The stores are set up in an unconventional yet efficient style: large blue bins are arranged throughout the buildings (oftentimes in a warehouse-like setting) and sorted by category. The categories include clothes and other fabric material, shoes, and any other items that broadly range from everything from magazines to lamps to stuffed animals. 

The clothing at these outlets have a standard pay-by-pound method, where one weighs the clothes at checkout and pays according to the weight rather than a fixed price for each item. In my experience, the price per pound has varied by location but remains roughly around 1-2 dollars (so, very cheap).

I’ve been to three locations thus far  (Santa Rosa, San Luis Obispo, and Sacramento) and now consider myself somewhat of an expert at the special kind of thrifting that the bins require. So, as a pro and someone wanting to help fellow budgeting peers, here are my tips for anyone headed to the Goodwill Outlet.

First off, wear gloves. I admittingly have gone to the bins multiple times without gloves and every time I do, I regret my decision. Though I have never come across anything too repulsive, it’s much better to be on the safe side.  

Bringing friends is a fun way to take on the bins; however, if you happen to go alone, definitely bring music/headphones. Sorting through the bins is a process and it’s better to be comfortable and entertained. 

If you do choose to go to the outlet with the company of others, I find it better to go to separate bins rather than stand side-by-side in the same bin. This way, you’re not all sorting through the items together and competing for who grabs the good stuff first. It’s also fun to bring friends to help with inspiration for pieces (that is, holding up a random garment and asking your friends if you could somehow make it stylish). 

Upon entering, begin by grabbing anything you think could work. I like to throw any and all possible items into my cart for later evaluation at the end of my visit. 

It is very possible to get overwhelmed by the mess. Many items will look very unappealing (underwear, sheets, clothes with stains and holes, etc.). There’s a chance you’ll see something perfect only to then notice a big stain in the middle of it (AKA the worst heartbreak of the bin experience). 

However, it is important to keep looking through bins, alternating through repeatedly. Some of my best finds have been in bins towards the end of my visit because people discard the things from their own findings throughout the duration of my visit, thus adding new items into the bins.  

Also, don’t make the mistake of not buying stuff just because you only found one or two things. Not every visit to the bins is going to result in an entirely new wardrobe, but if you can come out with even just one item to add to your collection it is worth the trip (and it’s probably going to be equivalent to about a dollar, so that’s another plus).

After you’re done with your visit, sort through the items and decide which ones to purchase. I try to not be too picky during this stage–even though some things might not be perfect, the prices are cheap enough that it is worth experimenting with. Worst case scenario, you either give discarded items to a friend or re-donate them. Right when you get home, wash it ALL. Even though it is so tempting to find out how the clothes look on, first wash them and then begin trying the clothes on. 

Overall, some of my favorite clothing items have been findings from the Goodwill Outlet. Though it is a very unique and somewhat demanding experience, the hard work is rewarding. And,  nothing beats when you receive an outfit compliment and you know you spent nearly nothing on it. 

Rachel is a third-year student at UC Davis. She is majoring in Communication and Italian with hopes to go into journalism after graduating. In her free time, she loves to spend time with friends, read, go to the gym, and do any activity outside, whether it be swimming, going for a morning walk, etc.