Life > Experiences

GIRL’S GIRL: GALENTINE’S EDITION

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Valentine’s Day is full of love, expectations and happiness. A day out of the whole year specifically to be celebrated with your boyfriend, girlfriend or significant other. A day where your significant other goes an additional mile to show you how important you are and how much the relationship matters to them. Valentine’s Day is all about red roses, heart shaped decorations, and candle-lit dinners. 

Unless you’re single. 

For you, Valentine’s Day may be just another day to remind you of how single you are. Instead of romantic dates, it might be sulking in bed, indulging in pints of ice-cream, and crying to romcoms. However, it does not have to remain like this! Valentine’s Day is about celebrating love. Love from your family, love from your friends, but love nonetheless. 

Honestly, instead of Valentine’s Day I love celebrating Galentine’s day with my girlfriends, spending quality time doing things that make us all happy. For me it’s a day to celebrate being a girl’s girl and appreciate my female friendships.

The term girl’s girl  has been one of the many trends surfacing on Tiktok. It is used to describe women who support women, through everything, through every high and every low. The unsaid rule of women having each other’s backs, in the ever changing world we live in today is not just wholesome, but also reassuring. Up until this term was devised, I never knew how much of a girl’s girl I am.

Here are some of the things you can do to be a girl’s girl with your girlfriends this Galentine’s day:

Movie Marathon

Rom-coms are my guilty pleasure all year round. What better than hosting a rom-com movie marathon in your comfy pajamas with unlimited snacks, wine and having a cozy night in on G(V)alentine’s Day. So that you don’t have to go on searching for good watches, here’s a list of my top picks:

1. 10 Things I Hate About You
  2. She’s The Man
  3. 13 Going 30
  4. How To Lose A Guy in 10 Days
  5. Business Proposal

Go out for dinner

Dinner dates on Valentine’s Day are definitely a tradition. This year go on one with your friends! Since this year, Valentine’s Day falls on a weekday, you don’t necessarily have to go all out and go crazy with this one. Just going out for a small fancy dinner with your girls, at a nice restaurant might be something you would want to consider. Especially if it has been a while since you all have hung out owing to your busy lives, catching up with each other outside of the phone calls wouldn’t be so bad!

Debrief session over coffee

Spill the tea, but in this case coffee. It wouldn’t be girls’ day out, without a debrief session, with each one having a completely different life crisis — from relationship drama, to potential talking stages and just unrelated tea. Nothing better than going out to a cute cafe and filling each other in on your life’s happenings and just sipping on a cup of the new Valentine’s special drinks.

Emily in Paris. (L to R) Lily Collins as Emily, Ashley Park as Mindy in episode 209 of Emily in Paris
Photo by Stéphanie Branchu/Netflix

Valentine’s day does not have to be dreaded. It’s a day of love, and love comes in many forms. Neither does Galentine’s Day have to replace Valentine’s. Celebrating the female friendships in your life, is just another way to honor the women who shape you into the person you become. Think of it as just another day to embrace the beauty of love, however it comes.

Hi, My name is Navya Miglani and I am a second year Mathematical Analysis and Operations Research major with Accounting and Technology Management minors. In my free time, you will either catch me dancing, scrolling on Pinterest or binge watching Gilmore Girls!