ulta flaylay test 4?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ulta flaylay test 4?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Girlhood Through Beauty

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Growing up through the era of social media is both a blessing and a curse. On one hand, I enjoyed how carefree people were, and everyone was able to express themselves creatively in the way that they chose. On the other hand, social media has become a toxic space through judging people in the ways that they present themselves, but we are not focusing on the negative aspects. As I was growing up I found that I loved being creative and it was one of the things that made me really happy. Something that I was always in awe of was when people were doing their makeup. I was never allowed to wear makeup up until high school but even then the first time that I ever put it on was the summer before my senior year, only because I was taking senior portraits. I always loved going to stores like Sephora and Ulta, just to window shop, and before taking my senior portraits I researched heavily what makeup I should buy.

When I was growing up I didn’t have anyone teach me. I have an older sister but to this day she never wears makeup so naturally I turned to social media. In reality, she’s the one asking me questions and advice about all things related to beauty. But through watching videos I found what I needed, but I found something else comforting. I stumbled across Vogue’s Youtube channel where they had quite a few celebrities doing their whole routine from skincare to makeup. Because I had always gravitated towards watching people apply makeup I instantly fell in love with watching them do their routines. Whenever I needed a little pick me up I would watch Vogue’s Beauty Secrets, and honestly, I could watch them for hours. I still don’t really know what it is about those videos that always make me come back to them. With this new trend sweeping across social media, girlhood, I think Vogue Beauty Secrets is a part of this girlhood phenomenon.

For me, the definition of girlhood is an activity or an event that in some aspects defines what and how a girl is, and for most girls, we love makeup or some routine like that. Not too long ago I posted a video on social media about how much I loved being a girl with Vogue’s videos playing in the background and I received a great response. Almost every girl who saw the video agreed with the statement that these videos are a staple part of what makes a girl her. These videos have gained traction by including more requested celebrities and incorporating “nighttime routines” with a wide range of them in age and in gender as well. A majority of these celebrities talking about their lives and what they are doing in more recent moments allows the viewers to feel almost like they are on a Facetime call with them. Most of the women that film these videos typically blow a kiss at the end and honestly, that is giving major girlhood vibes.

Hi!! Alejandra is currently a second year Design major here at UC Davis! In her free time she loves reading, baking, drawing, pretty much anything artistic she loves to do.