CPL Sections EXTRAS?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
CPL Sections EXTRAS?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media Design Team

Genshin Impact: A Breaking Point For “Likable” Female Characters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

*Spoilers for: Inazuma Arc (Version 2.0-2.1)

Starting from its highly anticipated release in September of 2020 to even winning The Game Award for Best Mobile Game (2021), Genshin Impact has been under perpetual scrutiny and attention. In particular, the game is highly praised for its character designs consisting of 43 playable characters as of Jan 1, 2022. As the game is far from finished, one of the ways it keeps its players entertained and hooked is through releasing new characters every 6 weeks while they work on story/lore updates at a slower pace. However, because of the constant demand for new characters, some players have argued that Genshin stretches itself thin trying to constantly generate fresh and likable characterizations — an issue that has garnered much debate online. 

In particular, many players have voiced their frustrations about the flatness of certain female characters especially after a highly anticipated game version update (2.0) with complex themes of war and clashing ideologies. Many Genshin fans had already been fed up with how many female characters in-game pandered towards the “cute” and “loveable” stereotype rather than being dynamic and not hinted at having a crush on the player.

But the 2.0 update drove the wedge further — the narrative introduced two warring sides with their own powerful figureheads — Kokomi, a resistance leader with genius strategic ability that makes up for her lack of resources, against the Raiden Shogun, a ruthless and uncompromisable tyrant. The set up for the two female leaders curated much excitement from the players, as some players noted that it was uncommon for female rulers in video games to exist as powerful, unyielding deities in contrast to the more benevolent trope for rulers of foreign lands helping the protagonist navigate their domain as a mentor figure. However, as the story arc developed in a way to suggest that the tyrannical ruler was not the one at fault for the suffering she had caused her people, many saw the twist of the Raiden Shogun using a “puppet” as not only wishy-washy plot development, but also a cheap tactic to make her seem more likable, and therefore, profitable as a playable character in the upcoming gacha banner. Some particular grievances players had with this development concerned of:

1. The lack of consistency after introducing a unique character that opposed the protagonist — who then goes later on a walk eating desserts with said protagonist without any formal reconciliation
  2. The lack of explanation regarding why a genius resistance leader failed to suspect unidentifiable suppliers to her army, which alludes to the lack of Kokomi’s relevance as a hyped character since she all but vanished after a cutscene of her arriving to the battlefield, and then nothing else
  3. The moment of centuries-long held ideology of eternity from the Raiden Shogun switching after eating milk-dango, insead of perhaps having this moment of epiphany while seeing the suffering she had caused her people
  4. The lack of importance in the role of the Resistance Army throughout the story

These were only some of the major complaints that died out with the passage of time and more updates, but with the more recent update of Shadows Amidst Snowstorms (version 2.3), many compared the event story with the main story, complaining that there was more effort put into a side story than the story more pertinent to the story arc of the protagonist. With rumors speculating about the return of the Raiden Shogun in the main story, many players are eager to see a potential redemption of the Raiden Shogun’s character that either justifies her previous characterization, or completely revamps her resolve and personality.

Hello, nice to meet you! I'm a 4th year senior editor. I am a double major in English and Psychology. I greatly enjoy writing, editing, and the works! In my free time I love finding new things to eat from Trader Joe's and playing games :)