Four Books You Should Be Reading Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

If you’re feeling overwhelmed by school, or just need a new book to read, check out these life-changing novels that will shatter your heart into tiny, tiny pieces (in a good way). 

1. The Book Thief

Written from the perspective of death, The Book Thief tells the story of Liesel, a young girl living in Germany in the middle of World War II. Not only is the language beautiful, but the story is captivating and the ending will bring you to tears.

2. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

Christopher, the main character, is a neurodivergent teen writing about his life in a series of journal entries. When he encounters a mystery in his neighborhood, he takes it upon himself to solve it. Struggling with family issues, this bildungsroman opens the doors into Christopher’s mind and his genius and unique perspective on life.

3. Between Shades of Gray

This book also takes place during World War II, but the events take place in Lithuania, then part of the Soviet Union. This young adult novel follows Lina, her younger brother, and her mother as they are shipped to concentration camps after their father has been arrested.

4. A Thousand Splendid Suns

Written by the author of The Kite Runner, the book takes place in Afghanistan and follows the lives of two female protagonists: Mariam and Laila. When Laila becomes Mariam’s husband’s second wife, they become friends and support each other in the midst of unimaginable circumstances.  

Images used are not the property of Her Campus or the author. Thumbnail courtesy of Pexels.

This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!