Five Winter Must-Haves

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.
Edited by: Amy Coyle

While the winter months make their presence known each windy day in the city of Davis, the fashion gurus are concerned with one thing and one thing only: winter wardrobe overhaul. The chilly weather is notorious for presenting the style-conscious a yearly trial: how to stay warm and stay fab. This challenging task proves to be quite interesting, as trends seem to blur the line between fashion and function. Fear not, you fashion-challenged collegietteTM! You will only need these five, weather-tested, worthy investments in your closet/boudoir in order to combat the upcoming winter season, while still managing to look fashionably chic.  

– Hunter ‘Original Tall’ High Gloss Rain Boot, $125, www.norsdstrom.com
Don’t let the sudden downpour get you down. Instead, use it as an excuse to rock these super cute, super stylish rain boots. It is an investment that will serve you for many winters to come.

-Visibility Oak Jacket, $75, www.modcloth.com
A more feminine alternative to the classic, black leather jacket, a camel-colored leather jacket is a must-have for this winter. Best part? The color easily compliments an array of hues, which makes it a versatile piece.

-Purl Knit Scarf w/ Fringe, $9.50, www.forever21.com
A thick, knitted fringe scarf is the perfect example of functional fashion; it keeps the neck area warmly wrapped while adding an urban Carrie-Bradshaw-esque flair.

-Cotton Spandex Jersey Legging, $28, www.americanapparelstore.com
Every fashionista should own a few pairs of high-quality, basic black leggings. Not only are they a great alternative to jeans, but they are “in” all year long.

– Chapstick Classic Lip Balm, $2, www.cvs.com
A smile and a perfectly glossed lip is one of this season’s best accessories to have. So why not protect those pretty pouts from the harshness of dry winter winds?

Just because the weather outside is a gloomy mess, does not mean you have to be! In the words of fabulous fashion-guru, Tim Gunn, “Make it work!”

Jessica is currently studying Graphic Design and Psychology at UC Davis. She hopes to one day move to New York and work for a fashion or fitness magazine. When she is not dreaming about her life in New York, she is either running, watching shows on hulu, socializing or baking cupcakes. She loves anything that will make her laugh, sunny days  and everything purple!