diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Five Items to Have on Your Bike Checklist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

At the University of California, Davis, you notice that riding bicycles is the most prominent form of transportation. Whether you’re already a cyclist, or just joining the trend, beware of the checklist that comes along with it, and make sure it includes the following five items:

1. A Small Bottle of Oil: This may be the state of California where we do not experience as extreme weather as other states do, but the weather we do have can take a toll on our bikes. The bike’s brakes and lock have an enemy known as rain. The rain will cause your brakes and lock to rust, which can cause serious problems. If your brakes are rusting, it causes them to stick, making it difficult to operate them, and it will be dangerous when you are put in a situation where you need to break quickly. Also, if your lock is rusting, you will not be able to unlock it, putting you in a position where you have no bike to get to classes or your other activities. You will have to call TAPS, where they will cut it off, and your lock is ruined. So, do yourself a favor by purchasing a small bottle of oil to help prevent the predictable outcomes of biking in a rainy environment.

2. A Fender: Owning a fender is important when the rainy season picks up, since the number of puddles and muddy spots will pick up as well. These puddles and muddy spots will be your worst nightmare if you do not own a fender, because it protects you from something known as the “freshman stripe.” The “freshman stripe” is the nickname for those who brave the rain without a fender and wind up with mud and water splashed on their back. This “stripe” is no fun when your clothes are ruined for the day, and you have to go to class feeling gross.

3. Bike Seats: As a bike owner, there are two important issues when it comes bike seats. First of all, when choosing a bike seat, do not choose one that feels squishy, because it will absorb water. You will be left biking with a wet seat and then be stuck walking around with wet jeans. Second of all, do not use shower caps to protect your seat from the rain. Shower caps tend to stretch out after a couple uses, and if they are stretched out, they easily come off. Also, they are an item that is usually stolen because other people do not want to deal with wet bike seats. An easy solution to wanting a dry bike seat is to carry around a small towel, because it quickly wipes up the water and no one can steal it.

4. Locks: It is easiest to go for the cheapest lock, because a fair amount of money has already been spent on your bike. Do NOT do that or else your money will go to waste when you find out your bike has been stolen. Bike thieves are crawling in Davis, and you make their “job” easier from them with using a cheap lock. You need to buy a lock that is long, meaning it can fit around part of your wheel and part of your frame. If you are able to lock your wheel and frame together, it deters the thieves from going after it, because they cannot steal your tires or your frame. Also, purchase a metal lock, instead of a cord lock, since thieves can easily cut through the cord, but not so easily through a metal one. Also, knowing that you have a heavy-duty lock brings a peace of mind when you park your bike for class or for the night.  

5. Bike Light: The final item on this checklist is a bike light because you need to choose one you can clip on and off. This is a common item to be stolen, because it is small and easy to remove. If you choose one that clips on and off, you are able to use it only when you need it and take it in with you during class or at night. This also brings you a piece of mind knowing that you will always have a bike light when you need, because if you bike without one, you can be ticketed. It is better to be safe than sorry.

This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!