This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

It is common to have a feature that draws our focus most when meeting someone for the first time. At least for me, that feature is diction. I especially enjoy when someone is able to illuminate a concept in a novel way. Below are 5 ideas that have left lasting impacts on my life over the years and I hope can do the same for you.

1. “Flex your foot when you feel a calf cramp coming on.” ─ My Dad

My Dad has given me some pretty good advice over the years, but these words have been the panacea to my nightly encounters with painful calve cramps.

2.  “Climb a mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.” ─ David McCullough Jr.

Davis McCullough Jr. has become well known for his high school graduation speech, “You’re Not Special.” I recommend listening to the entire speech whenever you find the time because every word is both purposeful and impactful. However, the idea above has really pushed me to do all things because of genuine interest rather than societal obligation.  

Image source: Tirachard Kumtanom

3. “Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes ─ including you.”

─ Anne Lamott

Anne Lamott is another author whose ability to portray ideas is unparalleled. The above words are one of the “truths” she shares in a talk about what life and writing have taught her. She reminds us of the importance of using the off button on our devices from time to time, including the “off button” for ourselves.

https://www.ted.com/talks/anne_lamott_12_truths_i_learned_from_life_and_writing/transcript?language=e 

4. “But it’s not who you are underneath, it’s what you do that defines you.” ─ Batman

The Batman trilogy with Christian Bale lies at the top of my favorite movie list. One of the major themes throughout is the importance of action. It is easy for us to cultivate ideas regarding our current societal problems, however, the question then becomes; who is responsible for carrying them out?

5.  “He who travels fastest travels alone, but he who travels furthest travels with others.”

─ African Proverb

This last idea is mainly responsible for my decision to come to Davis. After waffling between two schools for a while, I ultimately chose the place where people seemed to travel together.

Image source: mentadgt

Don’t forget to share your ideas with the world, what may seem like a small idea may be the answer for which someone has been searching far and wide.

Haley is a fourth-year student pursuing a major in Computer Science. When she is not at the library, she enjoys running, watching TED talks, and practicing her French. Most of her happiness in life comes from a cup of tea and a good book.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!