This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

I’m currently approaching two months of social distancing and shelter in place in my apartment in Davis, CA. Quarantining has been thoroughly discussed, by almost everyone, and although it is extremely important to take part in it, let’s focus on the little things that we can do daily to ensure optimal mental and physical health during this time of uncertainty. Here are some of the things that I have done during the past 6 weeks that have sparked joy, as Marie Kondo would say. 

1. Rediscover something from your childhood.

Although I am not quarantining with my family in my hometown, I am still actively connected with my family, even “joining” dinner via Facetime. Recently, my mom was going through some old things and found a YA (young adult) series I was obsessed with as a kid. Turns out the author published a finale to the series in 2018, and you can bet I got it and read it in a day. It felt like I was thirteen again. 

2. Watch a show with someone.

Netflix party has been a gamechanger. I’ve started and finished shows with my friends and my sister. It’s a great way to schedule a time to “hang out” regularly. Keeping some kind of routine, even if it revolves around watching TV, creates some sense of normalcy. Pro tip: Facetime your friends while on Netflix party so your screens are all synced and you can talk about the plotline at the same time. 

netflix in dark
Photo by Thibault Penin on Unsplash

3. Make a master list.

The first few weeks of quarantine my housemate and I made a master list of things we wanted to do with our newfound time. Just to be clear, I think it’s important to avoid pressuring yourself to be creative. You don’t need to create a start-up or write a novel during the quarantine. We made a list of everything, from shows we wanted to watch to things we’ve been meaning to do, but haven’t had the time. I started a blog, while she planted a garden out front. 

4. Donate to your local food bank.

It takes five minutes and can be as little as $10. If you are fortunate enough to have food in your fridge and a roof over your head, pay it forward. 

Produce Market Grocery Shopping
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

5. Podcast!

I’ve started listening to podcasts during this time. It’s a great and easy way to consume content (of any kind!) that doesn’t involve looking at a screen. Podcasts are also perfect for multi-tasking. I’m currently loving “Gals on the Go.”

Josephine is a fourth year at the University of California Davis, where she is studying Sociology. In her free time, she enjoys picnics at the Davis Farmers Market and watching Friends. She is planning on pursuing a career in writing and hopes to be actively involved in the political realm after graduating. 
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!