Feminist Reads for International Women’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

March is Women’s History Month, and March 8 is International Women’s Day! To celebrate, here are 6 informative and empowering books.  

1. We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Originally a TED Talk by acclaimed Nigerian novelist Adichie, “We Should All Be Feminists” was later famously sampled by Beyoncé on her song “***Flawless.” It was so popular that it was published as a book, which immediately became a bestseller.   

2. Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race by Margot Lee Shetterly

The highest-earning movie to get nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture in 2016 wasn’t La La Land but Hidden Figures, a biopic about three brilliant African-American women at NASA who helped put John Glenn in space. If you loved watching Taraji P. Henson, Octavia Spencer, and Janelle Monae in the movie, read the book for the even more incredible true story!          

3. Rejected Princesses: Tales of History’s Boldest Heroines, Hellions, and Heretics by Jason Porath

This wonderful book is based on a wonderful website, Rejected Princesses, run by former DreamWorks animator Porath. This coffee-table sized book pairs Disney-style illustrations with the stories of decidedly un-Disney like women in history and mythology like Julie d’Aubigny, the 17th century French swordswoman who once burned down a convent to seduce a nun, and Chiyome Michizuki, who trained a secret network of all-female ninjas.  

4. Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide by Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn

A #1 NYT bestseller by two Pulitzer Prize-winning journalists, this impassioned look at the oppression of women and girls across the globe is named after a Chinese saying, “Women hold up half the sky.” Half the Sky examines issues like rape, sex trafficking, honor killings, maternal mortality, and female genital mutilation, as well as how education, policy, and grassroots efforts can help empower women.   

5. Redefining Realness: My Path to Womanhood, Identity, Love & So Much More by Janet Mock

This memoir by transgender activist Janet Mock received glowing praise from the likes of Melissa Harris-Perry, bell hooks, and Laverne Cox. Mock’s work is especially important following critiques of the Women’s March for failing to be more inclusive and intersectional: after all, feminism should empower all women.  

6. How to Win at Feminism: The Definitive Guide to Having It All (And Then Some!) by Reductress

Reductress is a brilliant and hilarious satirical website that skewers the sexism of women-oriented media and corporate co-opting of female empowerment—think a feminist The Onion. The book includes tongue-in-cheek “advice” on issues confronting modern feminist women like “Feminism! Get the Look!” and “How to be Feminist Without Being Too ‘Opiniony.’”

* Cover photo courtesy of Noam GalaiAll body pictures are courtesy of Amazon.

* None of the images used belong to the author or Her Campus UC Davis.

Aimee Lim is a junior at UC Davis, pursuing an English major with an emphasis in Creative Writing as well as a minor in Biology. Besides writing and editing for Her Campus at UCD, she is interning as a middle school's teacher's assistant and for the McIntosh & Otis Literary Agency. She also volunteers for the UCD Center for Advocacy, Research, and Education (CARE), which combats campus sexual assault, domestic/dating violence, and stalking. An aspiring novelist, her greatest achievement is an honorable mention in the Lyttle Lytton "Worst Opening Lines to a (Fictional) Novel" contest. Besides writing, she loves reading, movies, music, women's history, and feminism.Follow her blog at https://lovecaution.wordpress.com.  
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!