Emily Collins: Artist & Entrepreneur

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

There are two things you first notice about Emily: her vivacious personality, or her equally vivacious hair. As we sat in the quad during our lunch break, the light breeze coupled with the quasi-summer sun made her curls dance and glow at the same time, making me think how some people bleed artistry even when they can’t see it. She smiled almost contagiously as she watched me unwrap my bagel with lox: a staple in my lunches that she introduced to me years ago. It’s inspiring to interview a stranger, but even more so when the subject is a close friend.

Major: Human Development

Hometown: San Rafael, CA

Tell us a little bit about yourself!

Hi, I’m Emily! I love doing everything and anything related to art: dance, spoken word, visual arts, you name it! I’ve drawn and painted my entire life, and am now very grateful that I can showcase my artwork in a way that makes others just as happy as I am at creating it. 

As a student with a science-related major, what is your advice for integrating art into daily life?

My advice for integrating art into daily life is to really apply it whenever and wherever you can. Art encompasses a very broad spectrum, and I feel it is very important to find your niche and use it as a type of release. This can include writing short stories, drawing, creating poems/spoken word, graffiti art (at home or where appropriate), dancing, whatever it may be! Finding something that truly expresses yourself is very important, especially as a student. 

What do you hope to achieve in the future?

In the future, I hope to encompass art into whichever career I may be pursuing. I have an interest in art therapy, as well as physical therapy, but life is always changing, and I may not end up doing either of those things. Whatever I decide, I hope to continue my henna business or create art for others to enjoy in some way.

I’ve seen some of your amazing work with henna. How did you get started with that art form?

I started doing henna my freshman year at college because a girl on my floor grew up doing it in her family. I loved it because it really was another type of art, just using a different medium and a different canvas. Even better though, this art was something that could be worn and shown off, rather than left hanging on the wall. Since then, I’ve grown to love henna, and have gained enough practice and experience in the art that I have started my own business. 

How can people learn more about your work and contact you?

To contact me, you can message me personally on Facebook, like my page “Trendy Mehndi,” and check out some of my work on Instagram. I live in Davis and have a fairly flexible schedule. Feel free to schedule an appointment; you can either have a design in mind, or simply let me work my magic!

Srijita is a Microbiology and History double major with a love for literature. In her free time, you can find her reading whatever she can get her hands on, singing in a local chorus, window shopping, or spending (too much) time on the internet. She hopes to someday go into the medical field and own a minivan.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!