This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Students have a plethora of worries ranging from grades and work, to cooking and cleaning. With so many things piled on our plates, it can be tough to make sure our actual plates are piled with healthy, nourishing foods. Good food can be expensive and time consuming to cook, which is why so many students choose cheap, fast food.

However, there are several resources on campus that make access to nutritious food easy. A lot of students are unaware of these resources or often find themselves embarrassed to use food-security outlets. However, the funding these programs receive is meant to serve a variety of students from all socioeconomic backgrounds. Here are 3 food-based resources UC Davis offers to all its students:

1. The Pantry

Located in the basement of Freeborn Hall, The Pantry offers students up to three items per-day. This includes food, along with other products such as toiletries. Students just need to bring their IDs to scan. The Pantry is open Monday through Thursday from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.. Fresh fruit and veggies are also available across the hall in large bins. They are donated from the student farm, along with other local vendors.

2. Fruit and Veggie Up

Inside of the Memorial Union every Tuesday and Thursday from 11 a.m. – 12:45 p.m., students can load up on free fruits and vegetables. Students just need to bring their IDs and something to hold all of their delicious produce. Get there early to beat the lines!

3. Calfresh

UC Davis also aids in giving out monthly electronic benefits which can be used to purchase foods on campus and at several grocery stores around town. The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is a governmental program which can award up to $193/month to those who are eligible. Representatives can also meet with students on campus to determine their eligibility.

As Davis students, we are extremely lucky to have a wide variety of food resources at our fingertips. Eating on a college-level budget is totally possible with the programs set in place. People should take advantage of these amazing offerings while they can. So, get in line, grab some nutritious, yummy food, and get on cooking!

Myah is a fourth-year communication major with a double minor in professional writing, along with theatre & dance at UC Davis. In her free time she enjoys making and listening to podcasts, hanging with her cat, and taking food photos.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!