Dear Freshmen: A Guide to cycling on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

I’ve often wondered why orientation doesn’t include a Bikes 101 crash course (no pun intended) for incoming freshmen/transfers. As they still haven’t taken a hint from the seniors setting up lawn chairs around the highly-trafficked bike circles to watch the welcome week debacle, I will bless you lucky readers with these brilliant tips gained through many a personal close call on the road.

Bike Circles

First and most importantly, learn to use the roundabouts. They are the bane of most upper classmen’s existence and get very crowded at when classes are starting or getting out. (For your reference this is anytime on the hour or ten minutes before/after each hour.) Roundabouts are quite simple in theory, treat them exactly as you would a car roundabout; enter to the right while yielding to cyclists already in the circle as they have right of way and exit when your turn comes up. Always go the right direction, never, please for the love of all that is holy, never go the wrong way in a roundabout. Once in the roundabout stay to the middle if you don’t want to exit and signal with your hand when you need to move to the outside to exit. Do not jump randomly from the middle to exit. You will cut someone off and they will be vocal about it.

BUI’s, yes they exist

In Davis, a bike is considered a vehicle so this means you must follow all the rules that cars do, such as stopping at stop signs and not riding drunk. In Davis you can get a BUI. While it is uncommon for police to hand this one out, it carries a heavy penalty; it acts exactly like a DUI on your record, which is a game no one wants to play.

Light it up!

Police will hand out tickets for lack of legal bike lights, which honestly is for your own safety. All you need is a front light visible from 500 feet and a rear reflector to avoid the disapproval of Davis PD. Cyclists are very hard to see at night without lights and when it comes down to it, personally, I don’t want to take my chances against a couple thousand pounds of steel. I’d rather it’s driver see me and stay safely out of my way.

Lock it up!

When you come to Davis, make sure you purchase a high quality lock to protect your new investment. I recommend a U-lock, which is a U shaped key lock that should be used to lock your front wheel and frame to the plentiful bike parking in Davis. Always lock the front wheel because the back wheel is decidedly harder to steal than the quick-release front wheel. Bike theft is a problem in Davis, but you can keep your bike safe by with a few tips such as locking it to a solid object, not just to itself, taking it inside at night if you live in a house or apartment, never leaving it overnight downtown or on campus or in the same place for weeks on end.

What bike to buy?

Well there are three basic options, the mountain bike, beach cruiser, and road bike. While road bikes are great in Davis due to its flat terrain and they can get you to class quickly when you oversleep, some people who aren’t used to riding can find them a bit unstable. (Side note, even if you can afford it please do not dump a couple grand on a beautiful full carbon road or tri bike. It will get stolen before you make it to midterms.) If you want to go down the road bike path and don’t want to spend $600 for a decent, new road bike, I highly recommend used, they should not cost you over $400. I got my steal of a road bike for $245 on the Davis Bikes For Sale page and it’s the best money I’ve spent. A used bike won’t stand out as a target for theft and will give your wallet a break, but if you are going to buy used and don’t know the first thing about bikes ask the seller to meet at a bike shop (such as B&L Bike Shop, the Bike Barn, etc.). You can go online, to Craigslist or the UC Davis Free and For Sale Facebook page, or head into the Green Bicycle Depot for some hardcore savings.

Pros of Cycling in Davis

Some of you may be thinking “Crashes, theft, and tickets, oh my! Why would I ever ride a bike in Davis?” While these are things to think about, Davis is a truly wonderful town to be a cyclist. Cars won’t try to run you off the road, you’ll save tons of money on gas, and get a little exercise in while you are at it being an awesome advocate for cleaner transportation! And if you find you really love the cycling culture you can take it up a notch and join the cycling team on campus or possibly, if running and swimming seem pretty cool too, the triathlon team. Bikes are just one part of Davis’s charm and I hope this article will help you tumble head over heels (and hopefully avoid tumbling head over wheel) in love with the spirit of cycling in Davis.        

This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!