Davis Thrift Store Feature: The Rad Vintager

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

The Rad Vintager
820 4th Street
HOURS:
Tuesday – Thursday: 11-6
Friday – Sunday: 12-6
(530) 297-5000

As college students, frugality and individuality are virtues. Luckily for us Davis students, our downtown comes equipped with an assortment of funky thrift stores and one-of-a-kind consignment shops that are enough to leave even the most elite thrifters (and their wallets!) in high spirits.

Temporarily nestled in between Ace Hardware and APEX Cycles and Services on 4th Street, The Rad Vintager, a newcomer to the Davis downtown scene, is currently on the lookout for a more spacious location for in-person buying, selling and trading of clothing. Their online presence on Etsy however (www.etsy.com/shop/theradvintager), was established in 2009 and is very much intact – perfect for those who want to shop from the comfort of their own homes!

The Rad Vintager was started by fashion enthusiast Felicia Constantine two summers ago when she was just a bright-eyed college student.

“I opened the Etsy shop in my last year of college for fashion design and marketing because I knew I wanted to be involved in fashion but on my own terms, [in a way] that would appeal to others in an eco-friendly manner,” Constantine said. Her original business concept for the shop was “an eco-friendly fringe poppin’ vintage clothing center for women with free alterations” and she has adhered to the integrity that she started her store off of ever since.  

When it comes to being eco-friendly, The Rad Vintager fits seamlessly into Davis culture. “Vintage, eco-friendly clothes just make more sense,” Constantine said. “They are better made garments that last longer, which equals spending less money on unique, classic fashions in the long run.” Constantine also believes that clothes and accessories can be more than just a fashion statement. “Fashion can be more than a passion, but a message as well,” she said.

Besides being green, The Rad Vintager also offers complimentary alterations – just another way it  makes itself distinct from other consignment shops. “Free alterations are a positive and essential part of the vintage clothing ‘biz’ because it draws more people in for a one-of-a-kind looks that fit properly,” Constantine explained. And there is nothing that makes Constantine more proud than the satisfied reaction she gets from customers for the extra personalization. “We really try our best to make everyone happy, so it makes me so happy when we get positive feedback,” she said.

Walking in and out of the aisles at The Rad Vintager is synonymous with taking a trip back in time. The store encompasses decades: from mod sweaters circa ’60s to grungy flats from the ’90s. The impressive range of clothes reflects the range of prices. Clothes as low as $5 are  steals and more expensive merchandise is well-worth the investment. So whether you’re looking for a formal dress or a Halloween costume, you’re sure to be able to find what you’re looking for here – and you can sleep easy with the knowledge that you’re still being environmentally conscious and that no one else will be rocking the same outfit.

Currently, the store is looking to incorporate brands featured in Urban Outfitters and Nastygal to the store as well as bringing in  – and this is exciting – men’s vintage! Constantine describes her target customer as “a strong female mastermind of fashionable, unique looks that can transcend any subculture standards. This chick can do it all, world traveler, and any age between 17 and  38,” – so if that sounds like you, what are you waiting for? Check out The Rad Vintager out in person or online!

*The Rad Vintager is currently looking for a larger storefront within Davis but website is still up and running.

Rachael Brandt is your typical collegiette. Her free time, you'll find her roaming the CoHo, nourishing her hourly caffeine fix or rocking out at the campus rec center in Zumba class. Rachael has interned at Acosta/Salazar PR firm in Sacramento, CA --working with politicians and interest groups to aide their campaigns. She now spends her days working at the Events and Conferencing Center, in hopes of saving up for the many goodies she hopes to acquire while studying abroad next year. After cultivating an obsession for Her Campus, she opened the UC Davis branch, and now serves as campus correspondant.