Milk
Milk
Alex Frank / Spoon

Confronting the “Got Milk?” to “Not Milk” Shift

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

In a world filled with nutrition trends and numerous dietary preferences, milk nearly always finds itself receiving the harsh end of criticism. People continuously express their hatred for milk throughout the internet, claiming that it’s disgusting, atrocious, and only meant for newborns. However, when it comes to milk (specifically whole milk), I can proudly say that I would grab my gear and go to war to fight against the unnecessary hate that it has been receiving.

Growing up, my dad has always told me to drink around 1-2 cups of milk a day. The daily ritual of pouring a glass of milk before school or pouring one before bed became a routine that has lasted for as long as I can remember. Whether I would pair my glass of milk with cookies or use it in my cereal, I have always found it to be a refreshingly healthy and tasty beverage. Many times as a child, I would even find myself constantly begging my parents to purchase chocolate and strawberry syrup, allowing myself to switch it up and incorporate different flavors. As I grew older, I started implementing protein shakes alongside my daily one cup a day, still enjoying the same taste that I have had the entirety of my life.

However, Gen Z has become heavily expressive in their feelings towards milk. With many individuals embracing milk alternatives or simply cutting out dairy completely, milk shaming has become prominent on a multitude of social media platforms. Due to people choosing not to voluntarily drink milk anymore, many individuals feel a sense of embarrassment when choosing to sip dairy beverages in public. This shift in attitude has drastically risen in recent decades in contrast to the era immortalized by the “Got Milk?” advertisements. Plastered on cafeteria walls and school classrooms, it featured countless celebrities, athletes, and supermodels to widely promote the consumption of milk and dairy products. Fast forward to the present, there has been a strong decline from this culture, as the milk industry has been rapidly decreasing in recent years due to the range of alternatives that have become popularized. Versions such as almond milk, oat milk, soy milk, and more have been celebrated for their lactose-free and health benefits and have become staples in the refrigerator. 

Even though the “milk hate” train has become a cultural stigma, it’s essential to note that it does not apply to everyone. Believe it or not, there are many people (myself included) who still appreciate and consume dairy beverages with no problem at all. The dairy industry itself has also become aware of the prevalent milk shaming, creating celebrity parody ad campaigns to offer support and guidance to the challenges that milk lovers all across the globe endure. These satirical efforts demonstrate the self-awareness within our generation, making a statement that milk opinions are subjective and personal.

Regardless of all of the dairy deniers in today’s age, my personal opinion of the beverage will never change. Therefore, to answer the infamous “Got Milk?” ad campaign—you bet.

Noor is a 3rd year student at UC Davis majoring in Communication with a minor in Accounting. She enjoys watching movies, going on walks, and spending time with her friends. She is excited to be apart of the HerCampus team and looks forward to incorporating her interests and experiences into her articles.