This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

I want you to imagine what pride means to you. How did you reach a point in life where you feel embraced by yourself and those around you? Was it easy? Maybe there were bumps in the road? Are you still working towards your inner pride?

I imagine these words just brought up some feelings for you; feelings of joy, bliss, anger, frustration, confusion, and maybe sadness or desperation.

Why? Because Pride is not only about rainbows, flags, glitter, and henna tattoos; Pride is a movement. Pride is a fight.

Today, I am calling out capitalistic infrastructure for making a month that recognizes the strife and bravery of LQBTQIA+, trans, and Black, Indigenous, People of Color queer communities into a merchandisable product. Our experiences and our rights have been, and continue to be, turned into income for brands and companies which don’t recognize us on a daily basis. Pride is about walking in your truth and flying your flag high, but it is also about recognizing that our human rights and the rights of trans youth are being ripped from us. Pride is about celebrating for the Queer folk who aren’t alive or safe to do so and celebrating alongside those who have always been ready to shine and still do. So when you claim allyship by taking your rainbow shirt out of the back of your closet for a few days in June, reflect on what Pride is truly about to a community which is fighting everyday just to be seen, just to exist without fear and risk of retaliation. 

As a Queer person myself, I want to acknowledge that having merchandise that represents who I am is powerful and important, but it’s crucial to know that when we support companies, we are supporting the ones that support us back on a daily basis. Pride is something no one can take from us and purchasing flags and fun themed merch is great as long as we don’t fall into supporting our own exploitation.

Pride is a huge celebration, where we recognize the whole, but I can’t stress enough the big issues that are being ignored, supported, or overlooked by people who are just excited for a celebration and parade or to tear us down. Especially recently, our state representatives are fighting against us and they are making big moves while the media gets flooded with commercials to hype us up, but don’t exist all year long. For the LGBTQIA+ collective Pride is everyday, not just June. Amidst our daily celebrations, we are also smiling through devastation and fear as our people, especially and most presently Queer kids in the south and midwest and our Black Trans community, get attacked and our human rights revoked. These are the conversations we need to be having; the moments that need to be seen by the larger community of allies, haters, and members alike. Our story is one of resilience and Pride is a gift and an acknowledgement of the work done and the work to come, because the work is not over until we have the justice, love, rights, representation, respect, and safety to thrive. 

As Pride month comes to a close, think about how you will continue to celebrate yourself, others, and the Queer community around you. Have the tough conversations, support the brands that honor our lives ALL YEAR LONG, and challenge the status quo. 

These colors we wear and the flags we fly mean something so much bigger than showing we embody light of the rainbow. These colors signify our experiences, our hopes, and our dreams to be our best selves. These colors represent power and progress. Pride is a movement and a fight for progress. 

So for all my Queer Queens, Kings, Royalty, and babies out there:

We are brave, we are loved, we are change, growth, passion, and light and WE ARE PRIDE. So no matter if you’re celebrating life loudly or quietly, celebrate constantly and know that this is a fight worth fighting, because at the end of the day, we are the voices and bodies of love

Sage R.J. Lang is a fourth year at UC Davis, majoring in Sociology with a minor in Education. Sage has pursued their undergraduate degree while traveling abroad, including Davis, Santa Barbara, Washington D.C., and most recently Thailand. Sage has been writing since 2015 and looks forward to sharing their voice with the readers of Her Campus before graduating and pursuing their many career dreams. While Sage's focus is more usually creative prose, they look forward to expanding their horizons towards a more journalistic and personal style. Sage hopes to improve the experiences of current, new, and incoming Davis Aggies with their articles and looks forward to engaging with campus doing something they love deeply.