Brittani’s Break from Boring: Volcano, CA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

There’s only so much you can do in Davis before you begin to feel like someone hit the repeat button on your life. Never fear! Brittani is here to save the day!

This week’s destination is a tiny town located about an hour and a half east of Sacramento called Volcano. Here’s a little background on this golden nugget of Nor-Cal.

Known as the town of many ‘firsts’ (get your mind out of the gutter), Volcano almost became the seat of the county before its newspaper company closed. Today, the total population is a soaring 115 and by my comparison it makes Davis look like New York, but that’s the beauty of it. Volcano was also popular for early gold miners, complete with real saloons. The hotel, St George, is the town’s main hotel and with its intimate attire and nineteenth century charms, you may feel like you have been transported back in time.

Things to do: For those adventure seekers, the famous Black Chasm Caverns allows you to uncover stalactites, stalagmites, and the rare crystals on a walking tour of this national landmark. You may just see some sights that take away your breath.

Need some drama in your life? Volcano has its own community theater that conducts plays throughout the year. Not only do they have an indoor venue that can seat 35 but they also host a larger, outdoor amphitheater for spring, summer, and fall.

Over 21? Not an hour away in Amador County, wineries are as abundant as Unitrans buses. In addition to having some amazing wines, all of the tastings are FREE. Yes, I just said free. So forget Napa and go to Plymouth. One of the wineries even allows for picnics (see enclosed photo) so you can take in the breathtaking sights while sipping the golden elixir of life.

Is the excess money in your wallet threatening to burn your purse? Head over to Jackson and see if the slots can satisfy your thirst. Jackson Rancheria Casino is perfect for a day trip to see if you can make it big. They also have a few nice places to eat as well as free drinks if you’re gambling.

Scattered among the tiny towns that dot this valley, you will encounter historic buildings that seem to transport you away from the modern comforts of home. You may experience no reception and (gasp) limited internet connection but you should think of this as only enhancing your journey. So gather your girlfriends and make this a road trip of memories, poor (aka GREAT) decisions, and a trip you won’t soon forget.

Sources:
httpmedia-cdn.tripadvisor.commediaphoto-s01f01c6est-george-hotel.jpg
sources:http://www.sacmag.com/2010/thunder-valley.jpg

Jessica is currently studying Graphic Design and Psychology at UC Davis. She hopes to one day move to New York and work for a fashion or fitness magazine. When she is not dreaming about her life in New York, she is either running, watching shows on hulu, socializing or baking cupcakes. She loves anything that will make her laugh, sunny days  and everything purple!