Brittani’s Break from Boring: Best of California

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Road trips, summer escapes, and adventures abound, California truly has it all. Yep, I’m über biased, but the Gold Coast has got it going on. Mountains, beaches, deserts, we have it all and you need to take advantage of the wonders that are hiding in it. Sure you can hit up the major cities and you should, but in addition, the little gems scattered across the state can make your trip all the more rewarding. Here are some places that you shouldn’t miss.

Major Cities: The Big Three

San Diego: SeaWorld, the SD Zoo, The Gas Lamp district. The question is what isn’t there to do in San Diego. With a great selection of activities, food, and adventure, you may fall in love and never want to leave.
Los Angeles: Personally the traffic makes me want to rip my hair out but good ol’ Hollywood is always on the to-do list. Combine that with Rodeo Drive and Universal Studios, you may forget that your lungs are being polluted with who knows what. Hit up Long Beach for the aquarium.
San Francisco: So, maybe most of you live there but still, the warf and that one bridge, you know the one that really big, are worth seeing again. Plus, the best part is exploring a place you think you know and finding something new about it.

The Coast:
Monterey: A little Steinbeck, anyone? Catch up on some Cali history with a visit to Cannery Row and the aquarium. Snack on fresh seafood and meander around the town for some breathtaking views.
Huntington Beach: Surfing capital and home to the US Open, this beach is the perfect place to shop, tan, and catch some hotties. Tuesdays are for locals and they close down the entire main street for festivities.
Santa Barbara: Nestled between rolling hills and the coast, this artsy and architecture-rich city is oozing with sights. Take a breath and let yourself slow down with the locals as you take the taste and sounds of the ocean.
Pebble Beach: Sit back and take in the stunning views of this town. Don’t forget to take the 17 mile drive, noted as one of the most scenic views in the world.
Carmel by the Sea: Get fancy and pretend you’re rich for the day. You deserve a break and to feel like a million bucks.
Off the Beaten Path:

Laguna Beach: Don’t believe the TV show. It’s really not like that. Filled with art galleries and tide pools, this city is perfect for satisfying your inner artist. You can even find restaurants dotting the cliffs for the perfect sunset dinner.
Joshua Tree: If you want to camp and get your nature on, pack your gear and head over to Joshua. Rock climb or check out the cacti. I’m sure they aren’t short on either.
Palm Springs: Known for golfing, this desert city lets you canyon hike, ride dirt bikes, or hit a fancy night club. If you have been wishing for heat, Palmy will cure you of any winter hangover that you’re feeling.

Of course, if none of these are working out for you, one of my previous blogs may cure you: http://www.hercampus.com/uc-davis-travel I’d hate to repeat myself. I don’t’ want you throwing tomatoes at me. Those things are nasty.

Happy travels.

Jessica is currently studying Graphic Design and Psychology at UC Davis. She hopes to one day move to New York and work for a fashion or fitness magazine. When she is not dreaming about her life in New York, she is either running, watching shows on hulu, socializing or baking cupcakes. She loves anything that will make her laugh, sunny days  and everything purple!