This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Hello my readers. I’m lucky and sad to say this is my final article for Her Campus as an undergraduate student. I know I’ve written a few articles on compassion and gratitude already, but I’d like to part with one more final thought.

With graduation approaching and the last four years of “normalcy” coming to a close, I’ve been sifting through a lot of sadness as full circle moments occur around me on a daily basis. 

At the core of all of this grief and relief, however, has been gratitude

I’ve realized how privileged and fortunate I am to be moving into the next chapter of my life feeling sad to leave this last one behind. This sadness speaks volumes, and the voices of this narrative are bright as sunshine glistening on the sea.

I keep telling myself, “How lucky am I that I get to feel such profound sadness.” I’ve realized that this sadness is attached to memories that have been the best and hardest moments in my life and I am so grateful. I’m sad because I’m proud of the work I’ve done to heal and the adventures I’ve been on that changed my life forever in the most special ways. 

In simpler terms, the grief I’m feeling is a thank you; a moment of appreciation for how this time in my life has truly touched my heart, and how I am so lucky and thrilled to carry these memories and lessons on with me as I encounter new ones moving forward. 

For my fellow graduates parting with friends, attending their last lectures, beginning new jobs, and leaving beloved housemates: your grief is a gift. The tears you shed are beautiful and shine, because they are filled with love for what was and what will be, and that is something we are all blessed to have for eternity. 

It might be hard, but because of everything we have experienced, we are all so beautiful and bright. 

So thank you. I am so grateful for what I have had, lost, and found; it’s all part of this beautiful, sad, bright, and gratifying adventure that is life. Join me, let the laughs and tears flow, and let yourself shine. 

Sage R.J. Lang is a fourth year at UC Davis, majoring in Sociology with a minor in Education. Sage has pursued their undergraduate degree while traveling abroad, including Davis, Santa Barbara, Washington D.C., and most recently Thailand. Sage has been writing since 2015 and looks forward to sharing their voice with the readers of Her Campus before graduating and pursuing their many career dreams. While Sage's focus is more usually creative prose, they look forward to expanding their horizons towards a more journalistic and personal style. Sage hopes to improve the experiences of current, new, and incoming Davis Aggies with their articles and looks forward to engaging with campus doing something they love deeply.