Books To Read For Native American History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

November is Native American Heritage History Month and there are a plethora of books out there that you can read to honor the long history of several Native American tribes. While not all of these books are intended to teach you about Indigenous cultures, getting a glimpse into different tribes as they chase ghosts or solve crimes can help expand your idea of the people and culture. Here are four books of different genres that will hopefully pique the interest of all types of readers!

Firekeepers Daughter by Angeline Boulley

This Young Adult Thriller is a Reese’s Book Club pick and is currently being developed as a Netflix series. The story follows a mixed Ojibwe teen that finds herself in the middle of a drug trade investigation after witnessing a murder in her community. As she secretly helps federal agents shift through evidence and lies, Daunis Fountaine has to confront the reality of the community and people she’s grown to trust, and risks betraying those she loves most.

Earth Keeper: Reflections on the American Land by N. Scott Momaday

A tiny poetry collection with a punch, this book is filled with musing on land and the environment, and Indigenous contributions to land, from a member of the Kiowa tribe. With a mix of biographical text, Momaday details the way Indigenous presence has a profound connection to the earth. 

Elatsoe by Darcie Little Badger

A Young Adult Fantasy featuring an asexual character that can raise the ghosts of the dead, this story is spooky enough for fall but emotional enough to keep you from getting too worked up.  Ellie is an Apache teen on a mission to find her cousin’s killer with the help of her best friend, one of her ancestors, and a ghost-dog sidekick. With a town full of creepy and magical creatures, it’s up to Ellie to find the answers. This upper YA is fast-paced and packed full of magic to keep any fantasy lover entertained.

Notable Native People by Adrienne Keene

This recently released book catalogs fifty significant Indigenous people from around the world through illustrations and artwork. This is the perfect blend of past and present Native revolutionaries, highlighting the people that have been denied the media spotlight, as well as offering some information on ongoing Indigenous issues. With short snippets of biographies and colorful graphics, this is a quick but insightful look into Indigenous changemakers. 

One of my favorite ways to interact with mine and other cultures is through literature, even if the setting is dystopian or completely magical, each person’s story has something to teach or connect to. This Native American History Month, I encourage you to seek out the voices that have for so long been silenced and oppressed. 

I hope you found something new to read to celebrate Native American History Month! Hopefully, these books can give you a better understanding of Indigenous identity while also being entertaining. 

Destiny is a sophomore at UC Davis studying English. In her spare time, you can find her reading, blogging about books and disability, or rewatching nostalgic movies. Besides being able to recite every word to the Coraline movie, her greatest skill is being able to create a mess anywhere she goes.